Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a damp squib. I presume that lucky vaccinated tourists, (if able to find a flight), will be housed for five days at Her Majesty's leisure in an expensive dungeon somewhere?

My money is still on November

What a damp squib. I presume that lucky vaccinated tourists, (if able to find a flight), will be housed for five days at Her Majesty's leisure in an expensive dungeon somewhere?

They made a point of saying that starting July 1, all persons in quarantine would be on their own dime if in government facility. Up until now, the quarantine for Caymanians would be paid for by Government. Residents and property owners have the right to quarantine on their own property, but it must be approved ahead of time by Travel Cayman.

From my work on the CITA Board, I can tell you flights will not be the limiting factor. Airlines are chomping at the bit to get the Cayman route back up and running. Accommodations will be the issue. There are not enough hotel staff to even bring the hotels to 20% occupancy right now. At CITA, we've done extensive remobilization studies on what is needed, and even if we employed every Camanian who wished to work in hospitality, there's a shortfall of about 1900 workers. Housekeepers, maintenance, cooks, servers, etc. And lastly, what Camanian would want to work in such an unstable industry right now?

For those workers who will come from abroad, there will be massive issues of getting them work permits, and all the necessary paperwork that goes along with it, as well as vaccines for them, or quarantines if they are not vaccinated. Plus trying to get them here from countries like the Philippines, India, etc. It's a mess that will not resolve itself soon.

My money is still on November

I would not go against this. While we might open in fall, the truth is, you won't see this island back up to full occupancy for another year to 18 months from the opening.

Tony

For some reason I read Canadian instead of Camanian. Was planning for maybe Christmas this year, but another time perhaps.

Canada opening? No bets being placed on that one

in addition to the message below, if the target number of vaccinations is met, we may see some action with regard to commercial flights in mid September.

COVID-19 in the Cayman Islands
Update – 16 June 2021
Summary of CIG Press Briefing
Written by: Nickolas DaCosta

1. Effective 23rd June 2021, all incoming travellers to the Cayman Islands will need to receive a PCR test 72-hours prior to departure to the Cayman Islands. There will be no PCR testing on arrival in the Cayman Islands. However, testing will be required at the end of the quarantine period with a negative result.
----------------------------
2. Effective 23rd June 2021, all incoming travellers that have completed an approved course of vaccination – and can provide sufficient and validated proof – will be required to quarantine for five (5) days. The quarantine period will remain at fourteen (14) days for all passengers who are unvaccinated or cannot provide sufficient proof of vaccination.
3. Effective 1st July 2021, any persons travelling from the Cayman Islands for non-essential purposes, will need to cover the expenses for quarantine in hotel facilities upon return. Essential purposes are defined as medical treatments, government business, or education.
4. The Economic & Statistics Office has estimated that there are currently 71,100 persons residing in the Cayman Islands. There are currently 39,090 persons resident in the Cayman Islands that have received a full dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. This equates to approximately 55% of the population. The goal for herd immunity is to have 70% (49,770) to 80% (56,880) of the population vaccinated.
5. The pension holiday will be extended through to 31st December 2021.
6. All frontline workers who remain unvaccinated will need to undergo PCR on a weekly basis. “Frontline workers” will be defined by the Medical Officer of Health but includes all persons working directly with travellers.
7. The Health Insurance Premium Payment Assistance Programme will be extended for a further three (3) months until 30th September 2021.
8. The Stingray City Interaction & Feeding Programme has been extended for a further three (3) months. The moratorium on granting of Wildlife Interaction Zone permits has also been extended for a further three (3) months.
9. The monthly Tourism Stipend of CI$1,500 will be extended for a further four (4) months until 30th October 2021. The monthly stipend will then be reduced to CI$750 for November and December 2021 with the expectation that the borders will be fully opened.
10. The Minister of Tourism announced a new vaccination challenge that will provide multiple cash prizes totalling CI$100,000 when the 80% threshold has been met. The drawing will take place two (2) weeks after the target has been met. All fully vaccinated persons (Caymanians, Permanent Residents, or Work Permit Holders) will be eligible to win this prize. Any person or organisation wishing to donate to this grand prize fund, should email mottvax@caymanislands.ky or call 244-1259.

For the latest information, advice, and answers to frequently asked questions, please visit www.gov.ky/coronavirus.

# # #

>>>> Effective 23rd June 2021, all incoming travellers that have completed an approved course of vaccination – and can provide sufficient and validated proof – <<<

From a US perspective, it will be interesting to see whether the "CDC easy to fake vaccination card" will be accepted as sufficient proof of vaccination. This thing can be produced by a 10 yr old with an inkjet printer in about 5 mins. I'm guessing that the US provides about 80% of tourists?

>>>> Effective 23rd June 2021, all incoming travellers that have completed an approved course of vaccination – and can provide sufficient and validated proof – <<<

From a US perspective, it will be interesting to see whether the "CDC easy to fake vaccination card" will be accepted as sufficient proof of vaccination. This thing can be produced by a 10 yr old with an inkjet printer in about 5 mins. I'm guessing that the US provides about 80% of tourists?

This could be an issue. 85% to 88% are US tourists, depending on which CIG report you read. There was a lot of talk about this at a recent meeting. Some were advocates for a digital means of verification, although no one seems to know what. The airlines are collaboratively working to solve this problem as well, so hopefully Cayman can jump on whatever solution they come up with.

Tony

This could be an issue. 85% to 88% are US tourists, depending on which CIG report you read. There was a lot of talk about this at a recent meeting. Some were advocates for a digital means of verification, although no one seems to know what. The airlines are collaboratively working to solve this problem as well, so hopefully Cayman can jump on whatever solution they come up with.

Tony

Going to have a be a private initiative that will rile up Govs of Fl and Tx. :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom