Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For anyone in Grand Cayman or familiar with the rules. Any idea when someone that is not vaccinated at all will be able to travel to Grand Cayman? I believe the Bahamas and other places allow unvaccinated with just a test prior to coming and one going home. Is there talk the GC will get there soon or will they continue require vaccination for all visitors?

For anyone in Grand Cayman or familiar with the rules. Any idea when someone that is not vaccinated at all will be able to travel to Grand Cayman? I believe the Bahamas and other places allow unvaccinated with just a test prior to coming and one going home. Is there talk the GC will get there soon or will they continue require vaccination for all visitors?
Based on how conservatively they have managed their border opening, I highly doubt they will allow unvaccinated individuals to enter anytime soon - maybe 2023?

It's my understanding, according to friends and neighbors here on island that have recently traveled on and off island from the US and Canada using the Azova test, that it has worked well for them, and they have gone by the DAY before rule as well.
Water temps on my computer are reading a balmy 79 degrees and hopefully the last of our Nor Easters/Westers have passed!
Safe Travels!
Yes, we just arrived last week using "the day before" with the Azova site, we purchased the brand of test kit called FlowFlex at local Target store in Arizona for $7.99/per test. No major issues with the onilne other than one of us had to reconnect to the testing observer half-way throgh the 15 minute post test time. But that was a minor inconvenience. The results were delivered by PDF within 5-10 minutes after the 15 minute testing period was over. We stored the results in both digital and printed form; showed printed copies at airports/airlines and immigration and had zero issues.
I saw the same FlowFlex brand kit here on Cayman Brac for $30/CI (about $36/US)per kit!

Based on how conservatively they have managed their border opening, I highly doubt they will allow unvaccinated individuals to enter anytime soon - maybe 2023?
So to people on island, how is it looking in terms of being to take a trip to Cayman if you have not been vaccinated? Any timeframe for when they will allow non vaccinated adults to visit?

So to people on island, how is it looking in terms of being to take a trip to Cayman if you have not been vaccinated? Any timeframe for when they will allow non vaccinated adults to visit?

We just got back from Cayman a couple of days ago, and the premier was quoted in the newspaper as saying that there will be some changes that "will make people happy" but that for now Travel Cayman (the folks managing the entry requirements) will stay in place. The "well-placed" locals I know think that this means that testing to enter will be dropped but that vaccination requirements and the need to apply for a travel declaration (proof of vaccination) will stay. Non vaccinated visitors will still have to quarantine.

I believe there is to be an announcement of sorts this Friday, stay tuned for any possible updates.

We just got back from Cayman a couple of days ago, and the premier was quoted in the newspaper as saying that there will be some changes that "will make people happy" but that for now Travel Cayman (the folks managing the entry requirements) will stay in place. The "well-placed" locals I know think that this means that testing to enter will be dropped but that vaccination requirements and the need to apply for a travel declaration (proof of vaccination) will stay. Non vaccinated visitors will still have to quarantine.

I've got an appointment at 9AM this morning for a test so I can fly down there tomorrow. Scuttlebutt I'm hearing is the upcoming changes will be relaxing the mask mandate and pre-arrival testing, but visitors will still need to be vaccinated to visit. I doubt the vaccination requirement will change anytime in 2022.

That's good to hear.

Do you know if there is a requirement for medical insurance for travelers that covers Covid? We have medical coverage for the USA and DAN dive insurance to cover dive injuries.

When I looked at specific travel insurance for a week, it was about $300 USD per person (times 3 of us) even though we have US medical coverage that I believe would be reimbursable.

That's good to hear.

Do you know if there is a requirement for medical insurance for travelers that covers Covid? We have medical coverage for the USA and DAN dive insurance to cover dive injuries.

When I looked at specific travel insurance for a week, it was about $300 USD per person (times 3 of us) even though we have US medical coverage that I believe would be reimbursable.
On the Travel Cayman form there is a choice between saying you have insurance or saying you accept responsibility for the cost of illness. The choice doesn’t matter as to if your form is approved. I always choose to accept responsibility myself and I have not been turned down. Good luck

On the Travel Cayman form there is a choice between saying you have insurance or saying you accept responsibility for the cost of illness. The choice doesn’t matter as to if your form is approved. I always choose to accept responsibility myself and I have not been turned down. Good luck
Maybe this is an older posting but it makes it seem that insurance is mandatory. Medical Insurance Requirements

"All visitors should ensure they have suitable travel and medical insurance. You should ensure that COVID-19 is not an exclusion to the existing policies.

Insurance is required to ensure that you are adequately covered in the event you develop symptoms during your stay in the Cayman Islands and need to seek treatment at a local healthcare facility. You should ensure that your coverage covers all COVID-19 related and associated medical costs and quarantine.

Visitors are fully responsible for the cost of quarantine in the event they test positive during their stay."

But under the FAQ Section they say what you said:

"All travellers will be required to attest to a statement which confirms that they have medical insurance which includes COVID-19 coverage, or that they understand the financial risks they are taking and that they have independent means to cover their medical costs, inclusive of extended accommodations. For more information, click here and scroll down to the “Travel/COVID-19 Insurance” section."

Back
Top Bottom