CCR Cave - O2 shutoffs and HUDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The vast majority of CCR cave divers that I know are not pushing themselves into tiny restrictions where zeroing the vis, getting stuck and accidentally shutting off O2 shutoff valves is likely to occur.

There was a YouTube video made by some guys in the panhandle that claimed the CCR Sidewinder Ginnie fatality could not have happened the way accident analysis conclusions were stated due to the O2 cutoff valve because the diluent was breathable at that depth. But I don’t remember how they claimed that the diluent would have automatically been injected into the loop to prevent hypoxia.

The diver apparently did not know his O2 was off so he could not have known he needed to add diluent. An ADV would not have “fired” at a constant depth. Constant Mass Flow was interrupted due to valve closure. I also do not think and ADV would “fire” due to a loop volume decrease from O2 metabolism, at least not in time to prevent hypoxia. However in the video on YouTube they claim that the ADV would in fact fire due to a reduced volume. I also think most instructors teach to turn off the ADV once at depth to prevent buoyancy problems from adding diluent with very slight depth changes.

I have removed my in-line O2 cutoff valve because I see no value in having it for the type CCR cave diving that I do nor the CCR cave diving techniques that I teach. If I have a solenoid stuck open I shut off the O2 at the O2 tank valve. With CCRs that have the O2 inline shutoff difficult to reach I see even more reason not to have one.

Those that do go into tight places losing visibility may decide to switch off the O2 and run SCR mode since they cannot see their controller. Why not switch off the O2 at the tank valve?

My opinion is also that a CCR should have a HUD. My rationale is that if the loop goes hyperoxic or hypoxic there will be red lights flashing in my face telling me something is wrong. A CCR cave diver should not have to rely on this normally in that they should be looking at their PO2s on their controller every minute or two. However, if things go awry and you are distracted and fail to look then the HUD becomes that critical backup piece of gear.

As cave divers we carry three lights, two safety reels, redundant breathing gas and other redundant pieces of equipment. The saying is “Two is one, one is none”. I don’t see why we should not look at redundant PO2 monitoring via a HUD in the same way.

I also do not think and ADV would “fire” due to a loop volume decrease from O2 metabolism, at least not in time to prevent hypoxia
Not sure what loop volume he had, but I calculate that a 4 L loop loses about 28% of its volume when going from 1.2 to hypoxic. However, breathing rapid/shallow due to stress or running non-min loop volume may have masked that potential feedback.

Not sure what loop volume he had, but I calculate that a 4 L loop loses about 28% of its volume when going from 1.2 to hypoxic. However, breathing rapid/shallow due to stress or running non-min loop volume may have masked that potential feedback.
Disclaimer: I'm not a sidewinder diver.

Page 67 of sidewinder's manual says "The Sidewinder utilizes a single counterlung which is approximately 10 litres. The volume will vary depending on how tight the harness fits, and how the unit is rigged. On this unit, minimum loop volume is critical.".

10L sounds big. I think my Gemini has a 4.5L counterlung and the larger version is 6L. Also, the victim could be running his CCR at a lower PO2. I'd run 1.0 bottom and 1.3 deco for dives longer than 3 hours.

The SW CL is nowhere near 10l of usable space. Its 6l on the bench and even less when its being worn.
This makes sense.

The vast majority of CCR cave divers that I know are not pushing themselves into tiny restrictions where zeroing the vis, getting stuck and accidentally off O2 shutoff valves is likely to occur.

There was a YouTube video made by some guys in the panhandle that claimed the CCR Sidewinder Ginnie fatality could not have happened the way accident analysis conclusions were stated due to the O2 cutoff valve because the diluent was breathable at that depth. But I don’t remember how they claimed that the diluent would have automatically been injected into the loop to prevent hypoxia.

The diver apparently did not know his O2 was off so he could not have known he needed to add diluent. An ADV would not have “fired” at a constant depth. Constant Mass Flow was interrupted due to valve closure. I also do not think and ADV would “fire” due to a loop volume decrease from O2 metabolism, at least not in time to prevent hypoxia. However in the video on YouTube they claim that the ADV would in fact fire due to a reduced volume. I also think most instructors teach to turn off the ADV once at depth to prevent buoyancy problems from adding diluent with very slight depth changes.

I have removed my in-line O2 cutoff valve because I see no value in having it for the type CCR cave diving that I do nor the CCR cave diving techniques that I teach. If I have a solenoid stuck open I shut off the O2 at the O2 tank valve. With CCRs that have the O2 inline shutoff difficult to reach I see even more reason not to have one.

Those that do go into tight places losing visibility may decide to switch off the O2 and run SCR mode since they cannot see their controller. Why not switch off the O2 at the tank valve?

My opinion is also that a CCR should have a HUD. My rationale is that if the loop goes hyperoxic or hypoxic there will be red lights flashing in my face telling me something is wrong. A CCR cave diver should not have to rely on this normally in that they should be looking at their PO2s on their controller every minute or two. However, if things go awry and you are distracted and fail to look then the HUD becomes that critical backup piece of gear.

As cave divers we carry three lights, two safety reels, redundant breathing gas and other redundant pieces of equipment. The saying is “Two is one, one is none”. I don’t see why we should not look at redundant PO2 monitoring via a HUD in the same way.
In general, i.e. including outside of cave diving, it seems that oxygen being cut off is a real issue, especially at the start of a dive.

But the real issue is failing in the most basic and critical task: always know your PPO2.

I am a sidewinder diver/instructor. A few weeks before he died, I got caught in the same restricted area. In a complete silt out, it took a good several minutes to clear myself. When I finally got free; I looked down at my PPO2 on my handset (no hud) and had a PPO2 that would barely sustain life. I didn’t have a roll-off, I had a clogged oriface. I sold the Sidewinder the next day and bought a SW with a Nerd. He died in the same spot shortly thereafter.

I’ll never dive another CCR without a HUD

I am a sidewinder diver/instructor. A few weeks before he died, I got caught in the same restricted area. In a complete silt out, it took a good several minutes to clear myself. When I finally got free; I looked down at my PPO2 on my handset (no hud) and had a PPO2 that would barely sustain life. I didn’t have a roll-off, I had a clogged oriface. I sold the Sidewinder the next day and bought a SW with a Nerd. He died in the same spot shortly thereafter.

I’ll never dive another CCR without a HUD
Agree in principle, but you can’t see the NERD2 in a proper whiteout AND it doesn’t vibrate. Combined with the case design and thus depth sensor issues, it’s not ideal. Vibrating Petrel3 or vibrating Freedom and a Fathom or DiveCAN etc HUD > NERD2 by a mile.

When it vibrates in zero vis - is it warning you of high PO2 or Low PO2?

Back
Top Bottom