CCR Color Blindness Considerations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBlenny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After getting to do a try-dive on a Defender I ran into one issue (besides buoyancy) that I hadn't expected. It was sunny (Roatan) and I was very shallow and hadn't realized my mask had a slight fog inside, but I suddenly couldn't read my PPO2. The rest of the console looked fine, but where the PPO2 had been posting was blank. Given that this could be really bad I switched to OC and stood up. What I discovered on the surface was that my PPO2 had dropped low enough to post in red, which I could now see since my mask was off, but due to my color blindness, intense daylight and mask fog it wasn't visible underwater.

Given how critical knowing your PPO2 is, how do I sort this? Circumstantially it was a trifecta of issues, but clearly those issues can happen. I have typical male color blindness, which is red, green, brown. Do some consoles permit color swapping? Subbing blue for red would definitely help. Other potential solutions? Clearly this is something I must get sorted before I can do MOD1.

Thanks!

P.S.: I came down with Covid right after the trip, so please excuse any typos, my head is a bit foggy at the moment...

I'm not color blind so I'm not sure how well this would work for you but my thoughts would be to either upgrade to a NERD or switch to a Petrel 3 which does haptic feedback (vibrating alarms).

The issue is the Defender uses a proprietary HUD you can however change the HUD mode on the SG1 handset to Alarms. I don't know if that would be better for you?

Alarms
The HUD’s blue LED will flash once every 3 seconds when all systems are functioning normally and no immediate attention or action from the diver is required. The HUD’s red LED will flash once every second as an alarm indicating the scrubber duration remaining, battery charge level, or PO2 value needs the diver’s attention or immediate action.

The Defender has a secondary monitoring port which converts to a Fischer cable. This would allow you to connect either a Shearwater NERD or Petrel as a secondary monitor.

Shearwater specifically mentions in their manual different color combos and how data is shown for color blind people. Suggest you have a look at the manual.

I'm not color blind so I'm not sure how well this would work for you but my thoughts would be to either upgrade to a NERD or switch to a Petrel 3 which does haptic feedback (vibrating alarms).

The issue is the Defender uses a proprietary HUD you can however change the HUD mode on the SG1 handset to Alarms. I don't know if that would be better for you?

The Defender has a secondary monitoring port which converts to a Fischer cable. This would allow you to connect either a Shearwater NERD or Petrel as a secondary monitor.
I'm definitely interested in the NERD, but have only played with one on display and had some issue getting the eye-relief just right (maybe this is less sensitive underwater?). Otherwise I really like the concept, especially as a photographer with occupied hands. The Defender I tried wouldn't be my first choice at the moment, but was what was available (and still very informative.)

Shearwater specifically mentions in their manual different color combos and how data is shown for color blind people. Suggest you have a look at the manual.
I will download the Petrel manual and check that out. A color corrected Petrel with haptic feedback and a NERD might make the color blind issue a moot point.

Shearwater has taken colorblindness into consideration. You can switch the Petrel controllers over to a colorblindness mode. If I am remembering right it is grey scale. Not sure if the new ones have different options depending on type of colorblindness.

My recommendation would be to look into getting a Petrel 3 with whatever unit you decide on when you're ready to buy. Most of the popular rebreathers on the market currently come stock with Shearwater electronics. The Defender happens to be an exception as it uses proprietary SG1 electronics handset but the JJ, Meg Tiburon, KISS, rEvo, Prism2, X-CCR, Optima, Fathom all come with a Shearwater controller and/or monitor as a stock option.

The haptic feedback (vibrating alarms) is a relatively new development for Shearwater so the unit may not come with it right away. Any of the units that use Shearwater electronics will eventually have this as a stock option once they run through their supply for Petrel 2 computers I would imagine but there might be a bit of transition period.

The NERD is used and preferred by a lot of divers and photographers. It is nice because it gives you your actual ppO2 and deco obligation as opposed to having to look at a blinky red/green/blue/whatever light. I personally prefer the simplicity of a traditional HUD since I find the NERD to be information overload for me but of course there are others who really like having it.

Ironically, while looking up the color blindness options for Shearwater, I found this SB thread on the topic: Color Blind Divers?

Very interesting as it perfectly describe the issue I have, and also Shearwater's partial solution to it. I say partial because toggling the same color (red) between text and background doesn't really help (essentially black on black to my eyes.) The good news is Shearwater is aware of the problem and hopefully can address it in a future update with a color selection feature. If there is such a feature already, I haven't found it in the manual yet, but will keep reading.

Also APD for inspiration vision 2020 has multiple color combination and you can even choose and pick colors and design your own screen.

After getting to do a try-dive on a Defender I ran into one issue (besides buoyancy) that I hadn't expected. It was sunny (Roatan) and I was very shallow and hadn't realized my mask had a slight fog inside, but I suddenly couldn't read my PPO2.
What was your set point?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom