Question CCR for recreational depths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CCR gear is quite pricey, but my main concern is being able to use it frequently enough to really build/maintain CCR skills & muscle memory. And you can't put a CCR in the garage & leave it there like you can with OC gear.

I know enough about CCR to have a healthy fear of not getting everything right.
I thought the maintenance was onerous from posts here. After being around a number of CCR divers (and diving with them) for a couple of years before I made the jump, it’s not that bad.

I know. Heaven forbid if I have to pour out the sorb, and use a little alcohol to clean and dry the loop.

It just soooo hard. Lol.

They're ridiculously simple once you figure them out. But that's not why we bring a bailout.

Its the same reason OC has a bailout bottle.
Enlighten me, what’s the bailout for, if not the rebreather tries to kill you with oxygen or co2

Enlighten me, what’s the bailout for, if not the rebreather tries to kill you with oxygen or co2
It seems like you're being deliberately obtuse here. Redundancy, just like its a good idea in OC beyond the simplest dives.

It seems like you're being deliberately obtuse here. Redundancy, just like its a good idea in OC beyond the simplest dives.
Maybe you can tell me why you’d need to bailout onto OC when using a rebreather.

Maybe you can tell me why you’d need to bailout onto OC when using a rebreather.
Once you have proper training (and not a bunch of internet training) you can understand it as a whole and not just pick and choose what parts you want to look at.

Official answer: CO2, caustic cocktail, flood

Practical answer: for redundancy when the crap hits the fan, just as with OC

Once you have proper training (and not a bunch of internet training) you can understand it as a whole and not just pick and choose what parts you want to look at.
The king has no clothes.

Official answer: CO2, caustic cocktail, flood

Practical answer: for redundancy when the crap hits the fan, just as with OC
How can that happen on open circuit? A rebreather is NOT the same as open circuit.
Edit, a rebreather is not as reliable not a simple as open circuit for a recreational diver and pointing a finger at an oring as a possible failure on OC when you have a rebreather on your back is Ridiculous.

How can that happen on open circuit? A rebreather is NOT the same as open circuit.
CCR is unquestionably more complex than open circuit. This leads to many different failure modes which have to be trained to monitor, mitigate and manage. One of the benefits of CCR is flexibility where issues can be managed, for example oxygen partial pressures to change CNS loadings, optimise decompression, deal with unexpected depths, etc. Similarly removing gas anxiety if "lost" or entangled. Running SCR mode, offboard, oxygen rebreather, etc.

Open Circuit too has many failure modes which need to be trained and practised. The challenge with OC is there’s much less flexibility. It’s down to pre-planning, ensuring one failure can be handled.

CCR and OC are different. Both need failure mitigation strategies. CCR offers many more mitigation options than OC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom