CCR Timeshare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprojeff

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in forming a CCR timeshare, drop me an email. I would like to gather info on certs. held on different units,etc. and arrive on which units could benifit shareholders. Again, if interested either email me or send me a PM.

Thanks and have a great dive!

diveprojeff:
If anyone is interested in forming a CCR timeshare, drop me an email. I would like to gather info on certs. held on different units,etc. and arrive on which units could benifit shareholders. Again, if interested either email me or send me a PM.

Jeff,

It's an interesting idea. It would have to be a group that is already fairly cohesive, and on a par with dive skills.

There are a few places, such as Protech Belize, that have units to rent, but most are individually owned at this point. Those that do own them guard them like jealous dogs with a bone!

Rob Davie

BigJetDriver69:
Jeff,

It would have to be a group that is already fairly cohesive, and on a par with dive skills.

Rob Davie

Rob,

I agree 100%!
My intentions are to conduct a "discovery" survey with this post. One would have to already hold a cert. in ccr to be considered for a share. In my case, training was somewhat of a cost traveling to south FL. for training. I was diving my Dolphin and progression to ccr had always been an interest and goal of mine. I think there may be other divers like myself that have gone this far and not, for whatever reason, have taken the plunge to purchase a unit. By not having a unit available, this usually results in limited value to the cert. training obtained and/or the more expensive alternative of traveling to a region that may rent a unit.
I am hoping that collecting and evaluating different parameters from interested divers perhaps some common ground can be identified, thus an opportunity for 4 to 6 divers to get a month of putting their wife in the garage and sleeping with(and diving) their own unit. Factors such as geographic location, dive skills, dive interest, etc. would definitely have to be a part of the formula. Really wouldn't want to be shipping a $8-$10000 unit across the country every month! Hoping to find an interest, say where I live in the mid-west. I may find other such interest in Fl cave country, the northwest, east coast, who knows!
Again, I am just throwing this out for some input. Logistics, agreements between shareholders, maint. costs, etc. is definitely something that would require a lot of work and commitment among the owners.
It is not the intention to minimize the goals, dedication, and skill levels that current ccr owners demonstrate today. Just hoping to come up with a vehicle for people that have taken the first step by getting certified and allowing them the opportunity for more ccr time and exposure. This could lead to a diver with the exposure and experience that takes the plunge into purchasing their very own unit.

Dive Safe

diveprojeff:

Jeff, Laguna Sea Sports in Laguna Beach, CA started The Rebreather Club® quite a while ago. IIRC the store purchased a pair of Prism Topaz CCRs and divers bought time shares in it. The details elude me, and the website doesn't show any. I don't know how successfull that endeavour was. Ask Gordy, he's a personable guy.

Shipping rigs around the country is something worth avoiding, as even in big Pelican cases there can be damage (they crack, you know), UPS has "bought' a couple of rigs over the years. Steam Machines is the only manufacturer I'm aware of that has an official rental program, and shipping has been a major issue.

The lack of rental units for training might also be a limiting factor on which rig you can train on to get your CCR Timeshare started. In many if not most cases you train on your 'own' rebreather that is shipped from the factory to the instructor and held by him or her until you pass certification and take possesion of the rebreather.

Dolphin SCRs are fairly easy to find as rentals, probably due to their lower price (and training expense). While I'm not 100% sure, I believe there are only two dive shops here in Southern California that may rent CCRs, maybe a third one.

Best wishes
Stefan

Back
Top Bottom