Cell phone tip for real Cozaholics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone out there used Google's new FI service in Cozumel?

I have a FI phone and will be going down to Coz at the end of this month - will report back. I've already used it in 14 countries with no issues. Data speeds when not using WIFI can be a 'touch' slow but unbeatable for the price. According to Google, Mex is fully supported so I anticipate no problems.

Has anyone tried KnowRoam yet? Curious.

Had my Sprint phones both unlocked before we left in Dec. Bought a new sim in Coz at the phone shop below the Mega, could not get either phone to work. Gave up and enjoyed a phone free two weeks.

Had my Sprint phones both unlocked before we left in Dec. Bought a new sim in Coz at the phone shop below the Mega, could not get either phone to work. Gave up and enjoyed a phone free two weeks.

Weird. I just stuck the sim in and went to town. I think if you stop by the real telcel place, they will help you out too.

There's nothing wrong with a phone-free vacation, but I've never had an unlocked Sprint phone fail to work with a Telcel SIM right off the bat. That includes a Nexus S, a Motorola Photon, and several iPhones. I *have* had people whose supposed unlocks didn't work.

If you have cell phone problems the my advice about the guy on Calle 1. Most Telcel shop people are only sales.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Honestly we did not put much effort into it, they told us we could bring the chips back if they did not work. But it was only a few $$ and we had much better things to do.

Besides I loved the no phone thing. I own a trucking co. and babysit about 40 drivers. They call at all hours 24-7, usually for the stupidest things. Even if told I am going to be out of the office for vacation, dr. appt. or anything else, I can guarantee I will get calls. I have a phone in my ear for 10-12 hours a day so it was very pleasant to not hear that damn thing ring. I did feel naked for quite awhile without it though.

Went to a telcom conference today. One speaker opened by asking people to please silence their phones except those using T-Mobile because it was pointless. In his opinion, it was unlikely that they were getting a signal so not to bother!

HA. I get a full signal on Tmobile on my Telcel roaming here in the US. Used to be AT&T now Tmobile.

Of course I can see the tower out my window on the far hill....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom