Cenote appropriate for beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neuatomic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all-

Traveling to Playa del Carmen in a couple of weeks for a few dives with Playa Scuba (Klaus and Luis). I'm a beginner (PADI OW) with just 5 dives on the Great Barrier Reef. Playa Scuba offers 3 days of dives - a Playa reef day, a Cozumel day, and a day diving Cenotes inland. What I'm wondering is if cenote diving is appropriate for a beginner?

I'm a cautious diver and recognize that I'm not a strong swimmer and still need to work on my skills (spent an hour in the pool this week doing just that), so the idea of cenotes makes me wonder a little bit about whats involved. I assume there's no 'overhead' obstruction? Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks -

There's definitely overhead in the cenote dives. My opinion is that they are not appropriate for most beginners, although there are certainly exceptions. You need very good buoyancy control and a high level of comfort with diving in potentially claustrophobic environments.

Then again, I'm not so sure many Cozumel dives are ideal for beginners either, although there are lots of new divers that do well there and really enjoy it. Cozumel dives can be fairly deep and the current can be a little intimidating for beginners. There are lots of very gentle, super easy dives as well, it's just a matter of the site, depth, and current conditions at the time of the dive.

Maybe you can try the Coz diving first, and if you feel up to it, ask one of the DMs about the cenotes and your diving ability, especially with regards to buoyancy control.

Have fun!

Thoughts or suggestions.

First its great that you are asking the question. Here is my advise, tell Klaus and Luis what you would like to do and have them evaluate your skill level. After a couple days diving with them, they should know what you can comfortably handle.

Overhead obstructions, that depends on the cenote. Angelita is pretty open to the surface but the neat stuff is deep. The majority of cenotes will have overhead obstructions through part of (most of) the dive. These are generally known as cavern dives where the diver can always see an exit to the surface and be 100m (?) from that exit. These are slow dives so your buoyancy control should be pretty good. They can be dark and feel confining, Bat Cave comes to mind. Grand Cenote and Dos Ojos are both much more open with great light play.

Talk with the people you are diving with and see, one, if it is the type of dive you would be comfortable with and two, if you currently have the skills required.

My wife and I had 12 dives before we did two tanks at Chac Mool.

You should have enough control over your bouyancy and trim as to be able to avoid crashing into the bottom, but you do not have to have the perfect control that is needed for cave diving. I don't know about other cenotes, but Chac Mool had no particularly narrow or tight passages. Yes, you're in an overhead environment, but you're always within sight of open water. If you're subject to claustrophobia, then it's probably a bad idea. Otherwise, go for it.

As others have mentioned, your guide can easily evaluate your skill level. But it's definately possible for a relatively new diver to enjoy the cenotes.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then how much is a video worth?

Then again, I'm not so sure many Cozumel dives are ideal for beginners either, although there are lots of new divers that do well there and really enjoy it. Cozumel dives can be fairly deep and the current can be a little intimidating for beginners. There are lots of very gentle, super easy dives as well, it's just a matter of the site, depth, and current conditions at the time of the dive.

I share the same concerns also having done extensive reading about Cozumel and diving in general. Particularly the currents - I definitely know my physical limitations and comfort level, and will make it clear to my buddy and the instructors what I am and am not comfortable/able to handle.

I spent an hour in the pool last week working on buoyancy and mask removal/replacement. Will try to hit it once more prior to the trip. I do have trouble w/ water up the nose during mask flooding/removal, but am working on that. Thanks to all for the advice!

It is my personal opinion that you should not do the cenote dives until you have good enough buoyancy control to avoid touching the floor or the ceiling, and until you can dive in a fairly horizontal position. In addition, I think you should have enough diving experience to know how you react to minor problems -- because during the dives, you will NOT have the option of bolting to the surface if you are uncomfortable.

I love the cenotes, and am an avid cave diver. I think everyone should have the experience of diving them, but I would recommend more experience than you currently have, in order to have the safest and most enjoyable experience of them.

It is my personal opinion that you should not do the cenote dives until you have good enough buoyancy control to avoid touching the floor or the ceiling, and until you can dive in a fairly horizontal position. In addition, I think you should have enough diving experience to know how you react to minor problems -- because during the dives, you will NOT have the option of bolting to the surface if you are uncomfortable.

I love the cenotes, and am an avid cave diver. I think everyone should have the experience of diving them, but I would recommend more experience than you currently have, in order to have the safest and most enjoyable experience of them.

Hi TSandM -

Posted just as you posted your advice. Appreciate your input. I'm definitely on the fence about the cenotes dives and won't have a problem saying no when the time comes. Besides my few 'real' dives, I have spent considerable pool time working on buoyancy and basic skills. Here's where I stand in the very controlled (and shallow) conditions of the freshwater pool:

I use no weights in the pool (no suit obviously) and can hover for at least several minutes both horizontally and in 'buddha' position

I can raise and lower myself under control (a foot or so) using breathing only (no air in BC)

I'm working on mask issues - I don't 'panic' when flooding/removal but do get a trickle of water up my nose which causes some coughing/breathing issues. I know exactly what to do when/if mask gets removed and don't bolt for surface, but I would not say i'm perfectly comfortable.

Given the above and assuming you take them at face value, would that change your opinion at all? Thanks again!

Make sure your DM can speak English and explain to him your situationbefore leaving the dock that you will need special attention. Give him a big tip if he helps you out.

I recently returned from Tulum and my first - but certainly not last - cenote dives. There is a fair amount of skill required to not only keep yourself off the bottom, but also from hitting the top and damaging formations. I have several hundred dives and still managed to bloody my forehead pretty well smacking into a stalactite on my last of six cenote dives. That'll learn this baldie to forgo a hood.

My - excellent - guide, Nico of CenoteXperience, told me that he can generally tell whether a diver is prepared for a specific dive by the expression on their face during the briefing. In your case, it sounds as if your guides will have a chance to watch you in open water before attempting any cenote dive. It's early days yet in your dive career, there's no rush.

In re Angelita: it's a unique site and without a doubt one of my top five dives, but IMO it is absolutely not suitable for a novice.

Whether or not you are able to manage any cenote dives, there are plenty of great reef dives for all skill levels in PDC and Coz. Enjoy!

Best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom