Cenote diveop recommendations ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stargazer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be in Akumal in December, want to try a few cenote dives (1st time), any opinions on Tank Ha, Scubacenote, Yucatek, Aquatech/deRosa, or Protec ? These names come up frequently. So does Diablo, but they said they're fully booked. Thanks!

I just got back from cozumel today. I took one day and dove the cenotes with Aquatech/ Villa Derosa. It was great and the cenotes are amazing.

I had a very good experience with Yucatek. Our LDS books lots of people with Aquatech as well, and I have heard a lot of good reports on them. Aquatech would probably be more convenient if you are staying in Akumal.

Stargazer:
I'll be in Akumal in December, want to try a few cenote dives (1st time), any opinions on Tank Ha, Scubacenote, Yucatek, Aquatech/deRosa, or Protec ? These names come up frequently. So does Diablo, but they said they're fully booked. Thanks!

When in December are you going? I've been emailing Diablo a few times over the past week with no response, which is odd... I'm going to call tomorrow. Hope he's not booked!

Are you using an Akumal shop for ocean dives? All the shops in Akumal can set you up with a cenote guide too.

HBDiveGirl did a cavern course with German Yanez of Yucatech this fall, and she had nothing but great things to say about him. In fact, my husband and I are probably going to do the same in March of 07.

TSandM:
HBDiveGirl did a cavern course with German Yanez of Yucatech this fall, and she had nothing but great things to say about him. In fact, my husband and I are probably going to do the same in March of 07.

I didn't think that Cozumel based Yuchatech and PDC's Yucatek were affiliated.

I'm thinking of doing the cavern course in '07 as well, and German came highly recommended to me by a couple DMs in Cozumel. I'm going to see if I can meet with him when I'm there in a few weeks. He does his training on Cozumel. Does he also run private cenote trips as a guide on the mainland?

If Dennis is booked for the dates I'm trying to get while we're in Akumal mid-Dec, I would love to try a couple days with German or someone from his shop.

I'll be in Akumal the last week of December (probably not ideal, but vacation schedules never are). I need to find an operation that can pick me up at the hotel, since I won't be driving. I tried Diablo a few times by e-mail over the past few weeks with no reply. Yucatek is here http://www.yucatek-divers.com/english.html. I wonder how far in advance you have to book for this time of year.....

I didn't realize Yucatech and Yucatek were two different organizations. But it does appear to me that German does tours on the mainland, at least from reading this page. I know that elsewhere on the site, he does say he TEACHES in the mainland cenotes if one prefers.

Stargazer:
I'll be in Akumal the last week of December (probably not ideal, but vacation schedules never are). I need to find an operation that can pick me up at the hotel, since I won't be driving. I tried Diablo a few times by e-mail over the past few weeks with no reply. Yucatek is here http://www.yucatek-divers.com/english.html. I wonder how far in advance you have to book for this time of year.....

Since you're going during one of the busiest weeks of the year, keep trying and hopefully you can secure a spot with someone in advance. If you're doing any ocean diving in Akumal, ask the shop you're using. Akumal Dive Center and Akumal Dive Shop do run cenote dive trips as well. And there's always Hidden Worlds. That week they will probably book up too, but there are more spots avaialble. They can pretty much keep adding guides to meet the demand. You can easily get a taxi to and from your hotel. If you have never done a cenote dive then you will really enjoy Dos Ojos and Bat Cave.

I'll be in Cozumel the week of 12/4, then Akumal for a week on 12/11. I still haven't heard back from emails so I'll call today. If I can't get Dennis then I'll try German from Yucatech in Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom