Cenote diveop recommendations ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just completed my 6th year in a row cave diving with Villa DeRosa/Aquatech. BTW, they go by both names....Villa DeRosa is the name of the hotel/resort and Aquatech is the name of their dive operation. Never had a bit of trouble with them. Who do you think the cenote ponDEROSA was named after??? You can find them at www.cenotes.com They also provided the region with CLEAN AIR a few years ago when Hidden Worlds was pumping CO laden gas into everyone's tanks causing two confirmed deaths.

Also you can't go wrong with ZeroGravity or Labnaha. We're talking about original guides here people, not the Johnny-come-latelys who decided to get into the game (read $$$) after the majority of the exploration was done and guiding got easy. Just follow the money.

Zero Gravity can be found at www.dir-mexico.com (Danny & Christophe)

Labnaha can be found at www.labnaha.com (Pep & Sergio)

chrisc:
We dove with them several trips, good group, prices inline with the other shops in Akumal...

Stay away from Aquatec/Villa Rosa or what ever they are going by now, you might dive with them, you might not, and if you prepay make sure you do it with a credit card so you can dispute it when they tell you that they lost your reservation or they cancel your dives.

Could you elaborate? I don't want to make the same mistake. Thanks.

1st time diving with them, they could not get a boat for the reef dives we paid for, or a divemaster, then on the cenote dives overcharged our credit cards (was told it was pesos, they charged $$). Next year we paid in advance for all our dives (10 days worth). When we arrive, Nancy stated that they never received the money... I showed her the payment online (which was made 1.5 months earlier) and the confirmation she email sent me. She could have careless, I think Tito is the only one who cares about the place. Talk to the other dive ops when you are in Akumal and you'll get the full story on her. :11: :11: :11: :no

TSandM:
HBDiveGirl did a cavern course with German Yanez of Yucatech this fall, and she had nothing but great things to say about him. In fact, my husband and I are probably going to do the same in March of 07.
German Yanez Mendoza is a Safety Officer for Cozumel.
Look also at
http://www.safecavediving.com/safetyofficers.htm
I met him 2 years ago, when he organized for me dives in Cenote Aetolito on Cozumel.
For me it was a great experience, as it is very interesting cave to dive in. Some may like more the caves on Yucatan in Tulum to Playa del Carmen, because they have usually bright walls and generally offer perchaps greated views, but Aerolito has much more fauna, which is really amazing.
Anyhow, no question about competences of German. He is a great guy.

chrisc:
1st time diving with them, they could not get a boat for the reef dives we paid for, or a divemaster, then on the cenote dives overcharged our credit cards (was told it was pesos, they charged $$). Next year we paid in advance for all our dives (10 days worth). When we arrive, Nancy stated that they never received the money... I showed her the payment online (which was made 1.5 months earlier) and the confirmation she email sent me. She could have careless, I think Tito is the only one who cares about the place. Talk to the other dive ops when you are in Akumal and you'll get the full story on her. :11: :11: :11: :no

How did this end up?

Disputed the charges with credit card companies and received our money back. It's really easy to get a credit when V.D.R. didn't respond to the query from the card company...

Back
Top Bottom