Cenote diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to clarify a little . . . a cenote is, in fact, an opening into an underground water system. Many of them are sinkholes, where the roof has caved in and the rubble that fell makes an "island" or sometimes just piles of rock in the pool. Sometimes, the roof of the cave is above the waterline, and you can snorkel back under the rock. Some cenotes allow you to do this for quite some distance, like NoHoch and Yax Muul. Others have no air space under the roof, but open into broad rooms where there is space to swim around quite a bit before losing sight of sunlight. Among these are the ones that are typically used for tours for OW divers, such places as Chac Mool, Grand Cenote, Dos Ojos, Ponderosa, and Taj Maha.

Other cenotes have openings into tunnels, where there is little space that would be considered cavern, as you lose sight of light very quickly. These cenotes are only done by certified cave divers.

You can pay an entry fee and swim in many cenotes. But if a company is advertising tours for DIVERS, they are going into the overhead environment, and anyone booking such tours should know that.

However, these tours are run with a very good safety record, as long as they are run under the voluntary rules for tour guides.

This is a very good point by TSandM. The rules are currently voluntary, so it's buyer beware. There are some very good and safety conscious guides in the Yucatan and it's worthwhile to seek them out. You will be more comfortable and have more fun as the result.

A oldie but goodie discussion on cenote experience.

Good operators go through training and orientation before you go into the Cavern environment! They start you off under controlled conditions work towards deeper penetration into the "Cavern"!
820__MG_1499_Arrow_Training_on_the_Line_5-09_II.jpg

Just did a dive with Juan Carlos with Hidden Worlds. They charged me 100usd and they picked me up at my condo in Akumal and returned me.
Juan Carlos was a fantastic guide and diver. He was thrilled when I asked for his credentials. He said not many ask for the details. I did. He has all the cards.
He is from outside but now lives in the area and is in Dos Ojos nearly every day. It's his office as he lovingly put it. He did such a great job preping us with the briefing that I felt like I had done a intro to caving course. Very thorough.
I can truly say to those wanting to do a cenote that one should have complete command of bouyancy and very good with a frog kick. For the most part the areas use at Dos Ojos are very easy. The guides make a call with his charges as to whether or not to enhance the dive.
I felt honored with the trip he took me on. I took my new topdawg in and when I get home the vids will be put here.
These dives are unreal to say the least. kev

thanks guys, think I am going to sign up for the dos ojos dive :D

Back
Top Bottom