Cenote Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angelita is beautiful, but it's more of a sinkhole than a cavern. It is a deep dive. Of the more traditional "cavern like" cenotes, one of my favourites is Kukulkan which is part of the Chac Mool system. This photo is of "the wall of light" and it does not do justice to how beautiful this place is! The halocline is present in the Chac Mool system, so you'd get a look at that also. If you do decide you have a destination in mind, do mention that to your guide or dive shop when booking, as if you fail to tell them that, they may have another destination in mind for you.

have fun!

DSC04323.jpg

The cenotes are such a wonderful experience. I could dive them every day of a dive trip and not get tired of it. Take a big dive light with you. I wore my 3mm suit and was cold. If you have room take a 5mm. Of course, if you are only going to do 1 or 2 dives then you will just be a little cool in a 3mm.

Hi there....
I was in riviera maya...
They have lots of cenotes quite close to riviera maya
try to find a diving resort called Bahia Divers... excelent personel, very professional and u even have there 2 professional cenote divers.. all cenotes r beautifulls.. and trading a drifting dive in cozumel for a cenote ??? why not both ??? U will not regreat
Enjoy

I've gone twice with Nicolas Casella of Cenote Experience and highly recommend diving with him. Cenotes are a really unique experience and well worth giving up a day of drifting in Cozumel IMO.

CenoteXperience

I have a couple of friends who speak very highly of their time with Nico, and hope to dive with him myself one day!

+1 for Nicolas from Cenote Xperience. I have had great dives under his guidance.

Another +1 for Nicolas and http://www.cenotexperience.com.mx/ . I'm headed down in Oct to do my Cavern cert with him and highly recommend him.

Pro-tech I've never dove with but they have a great reputation. As for which cenotes, Dos Ojos is nice but it can get pretty crowded. It is one of the closer cenotes to Playa however. Gran Cenotes is pretty much all the way down to Tulum. Temple of Doom is down there as well, we did Gran and Temple as a two tank dive. El Eden (Ponderosa) was really great, if you want to see haloclyne, that's the most pronounced I've ever seen. I wouldn't recommend Dream Gate for your first cenote but for future reference, if you like them and once you've done a few others that's a great spot. For your first cenote dive El Eden would be my pick. Taj and Chak Mool are both close and you could make a good 2 tank dive out of those locations.

Here's my video from El Eden:
https://vimeo.com/8140277

And Gran / Temple of Doom
https://vimeo.com/5890393

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Angelita is awesome, but not the same type of cenote as the others. It's a huge sink hole that goes straight down, great to do after you have done the others but not as a stand alone "this is the only cenotes were doing" dive. Dos O, Grand Cenote, Taj Mahal etc are all outstanding.
Angelita was my teenage son's 100th dive so that made it even more of a special experience.

I spent a week in Puerto Aventuras, and spent two days diving cenotes and the rest on the reefs. Next time I go back, I'll definitely be skipping the ocean dives and spending the whole time in cenotes. They were definitely some of the most enjoyable dives I've ever done. We hit Chac Mool, Taj Mahal, and Garden of Eden, and I'd recommend any of those.

Cenote Eden has a beautiful open water basin, and lots of views through the light.

Taj Maha has halocline, and if you do the dives at the right time of the morning, some beautiful shafts of light coming down through the broken ceiling and bending where the salinity changes. Taj doesn't have a ton of decorations, though.

Grand is a beautiful cavern dive, with huge, stately decorations. I like it well enough that we often swim the cavern line at the end of our cave dives, just for fun.

Chac Mool has some big underground spaces and some nice light effects. So does Chikin-Ha/Xtabe.

Dos Ojos was my favorite cavern dive, but you have to get there early in the morning or it gets quite crowded. It will also be the most "cave-like", so if you have any qualms about darkness and overhead spaces, it's not the one to start with.

Wow, all of you are amazing. As far as me having any qualms, there isn't much that intimidates me. I definitely would love to experience the cave/cavern feel of the dive and beautiful opportunities for photography/videography with unique lighting is a HUGE plus. The formations and lighting/effects would probably be my top 2 priorities followed by the adventure aspect of cavern diving.

Back
Top Bottom