Cenote Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Temps in the cenotes are, as others have mentioned, very stable.

I wear a 3/2 full with a 3ml hood and I'm fine, but obviously it'll depend on your individual tolerances.

Have done Dos Ojos, Chac Mool and Kulkulkan. First time we did them the last dive day, nice shallow dives and a good fresh water rinse. As said elsewhere, Dos Ojos was pretty basic and intro. Chac Mool and Kul. were better, the halocline can get a little trippy when your eyes can't focus on anything going through it... then looking up and seeing a transparent "ceiling." If you do those, make sure to taste the salt water, then drop, taste the fresh... :) Much colder in the fresh too.

A neat experience, but wouldn't want to do it every day or even every Coz trip. Just not my thing

Chac Mool and Kukulkan were boring and the stirred up halocline makes much of the dive almost a waste. It looks like a field of construction debris rubble.

I see many have already chimed in but have to say - we dove Dos Ojos a few years ago and it is still on our top ten list, it was fantastic! Well worth the day off drift dives to do it, it is surreal, like you are on another planet. Diving in Coz is my favorite but you MUST experience a cenote. Have fun whatever you do.

I did Dos Ojos on the mainland (near Akumal) and it was absolutely fantastic. It is definitely a different kind of diving. I thought I would be a little nervous because of the overhead environment but there is not as much of that as I thought. It was probably 80% cavern diving and 20% cave. The water is gin clear though. I would definitely do it again.

I did Dos Ojos on the mainland (near Akumal) and it was absolutely fantastic. It is definitely a different kind of diving. I thought I would be a little nervous because of the overhead environment but there is not as much of that as I thought. It was probably 80% cavern diving and 20% cave. The water is gin clear though. I would definitely do it again.

Unless your guide SERIOUSLY violated a number of safety standards, it was 100% cavern.

Thanks for the recommendation, we had a great time diving with Klaus. My idea was to dive the highly recommended Dos Ojos, but he felt this was a bit basic and instead we dived the Kukulkan and Chac-Mool cenotes. It was a great way to finish two weeks of diving in Cozumel and Belize.

Just got back from Cozumel and I have to say the cenote dives were beautiful. I dove with Nicolas at CenoteXperience and I would recommend him to anybody. We dove The Pit and Dos Ojos, both were amazing but I enjoyed The Pit much more. Thanks for all of the advice!

Cenote diving is an interesting experience. I have been to Dos Ojos, Gran and Carwash if my memory is working well.

I have a question about cavern diving in Car Wash. Is there a cavern line in there? I know the cave line is quite a ways in and I had to pretty much run out a primary reel to tie into it.

Well, with regards to whether it's worth losing a day of Coz diving, here's my story: I did my trip to Coz with four other people. Two of us were HIGHLY interested in diving the cenotes, and I had booked two days of cenote tours for my friend, my husband (who wasn't all that interested) and myself. We did the two days of tours and went back to reef diving . . . a couple days later, we all looked at each other and said, "Back to the cenotes!" And we blew off the rest of the reef diving to go dive the caverns.

It's a question of preference. I've done quite a bit of both and now I would only "give up" a day of drift diving when the port closes. It's good to do your home work and if the harbor master closes things up in Cozumel then pull your "cenote trump card". just sayn

Back
Top Bottom