Cenote snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
Viz is not a problem in the cenotes; I think the viz in Dos Ojos is rated at 1200 feet or some such ridiculous number. If it weren't for the bubbles you'd think you were in zero G in air.

I've never heard of Beachcomber Cavern, but the only cavern entrance I know of on Cozumel is in Chankanaab Park. It's pretty cool, with a curtain of glassy slippers over the opening and 5 foot tarpon cruising around inside. You'll have to go in from shore in the Park with a guide to get to it.
That seems to be it...
There are good spots for shore diving to depths of 10 to 15 feet at Chankanaab Lagoon’s Beachcomber Cavern, and at the Sunken Airplane in front of the El Cid-La Ceiba Hotel.
Of course, the airplane is gone, and some of the other info on the net may be out of date.
Snorkeling is excellent at Punta Sur and at Chankanaab Park.
Snorkel Punta Sur....??

I went with the same DM that GGunn uses - Matt helped map those caves, quite a character.

I did a trip over and dove Dos Ojos just last week and it was a really cool experience. I went with my good friend German who runs Yucatech Expeditions and is one of the top cave diving instructors....he is an instuctor trainer in fact.

If you go from Coz it's an all day affair but well worth the trip. 8am ferry, a 45 minute ride to the cenotes, dives, lunch, and back to catch the 4pm ferry. I was so enthralled looking at the different formations that I didn't ever get a chance to worry about the overhead environment. There is plenty of room in the cavern...so much so that you'll never feel claustrophobic especially considering the unlimited viz.

One suggestion I would make is that you go to the caverns on your last diving day. It's only a 25' max depth dive so the offgas opportunity is great AND you get the added bonus of 2 hours of fresh water rinse for all your gear.

Yes, we were definitely thinking of our last day. And anything that helps get rid of the stink is an added bonus.

Was it ever completely dark at Dos Ojos? Or were there glimmers of light?

Sorrows:
Yes, we were definitely thinking of our last day. And anything that helps get rid of the stink is an added bonus.

Was it ever completely dark at Dos Ojos? Or were there glimmers of light?

There are some places we went at Dos Ojos that would have been dark had we not had lights.

ggunn:
There are some places we went at Dos Ojos that would have been dark had we not had lights.

I've done Dos Ojos and Bat Cave twice (once Hidden Worlds and once with German) and yes, there are sections of each that are completely dark if you don't have your lights on. Your eyes adjust quickly, especially with the help of the near white formations and gin-clear water. There are also a couple spots that are equivalent to a tight swimthrough.

Dos Ojos is probably the best known and most popular cenote dive. Some guides seem to only take their divers here. I don't think it's possible to do Dos Ojos and Bat Cave without seeing two or more other groups during your dive. I've enjoyed other dives at less crowded cenotes more then these.

Back
Top Bottom