Cenote video Feb. 11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As much cave diving as I have done, still one of my favorite parts is coming out and enjoying the light effects in the cavern zone. Nice job of capturing them!

Wow. That is gorgeous! I just love that "light zone" that I see in videos/photos of springs and caverns. I would like to be able to experience that myself!

I realize that springs are OW zones, but something like this.... is it something that being Cavern certified would make appropriate? I see it says "Cavern" on the map at the end of the video (thanks for including that, btw), but then I believe that sometimes certain operations may be a bit liberal on that definition (?).

Thanks for posting the video :)

Blue Sparkle

A cavern certification would definitely make this kind of thing accessible to you, but you can also take the tours that are run for OW divers. (This cavern is one of the ones they use.) The nice thing about a cavern cert is that you aren't held to the pace of the tour, and you can take your time and stop and really enjoy the light show.

Thanks, TSandM. I think I'd be a little bit uncomfortable on a guided tour without having the certification/knowledge myself (just because I'm that way; not saying the guides don't know what they are doing). Also, yes, I would sure want to be able to linger in that beauty!

I'm glad to know it's a cavern zone (I wasn't sure if it might have been considered an actual cave), because right now cavern certification seems like something I could try for in the reasonably foreseeable future, whereas cave certification sounds like it would be long distant or maybe not even possible for me.

Thanks for the info :)

Blue Sparkle

Any time you can gaze with delight out to the shafts of sunlight pouring down through the water, you are in the cavern zone. Cave starts where it's dark :)

I do not have either a cavern nor a cave diving certification so I expected to be taken only to zones where I could always see the sunlight which, for me at first sounded a bit lame (and I considered going for a cave certification right away). However, that is not really the case with the cenotes. You penetrate for my feeling very far inside the cave. Although we've probably never been too far away from an exit, the cenote was so labyrinth like that I never had that feeling. In fact it was pitch black dark at times as can be seen in the video.

very nice effects. Were you able to see these effects in the viewfinder as you were shooting or were you just pleasantly surprised after downloading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom