Cenotes and Cave-vs-Cavern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got back from a trip to the Riviera Maya and did several cenotes dives while there. They were awesome!!

I felt very comfortable with the dive but I didn't feel comfortable about some of the others in the group. I can only imagine how bad some of the divers might be that visit these beautiful places to the detriment of both the cave and diver.

One of the DMs leading the dive pointed out that we were doing "cavern" dives and not "cave" dives so it was "OK".

Are there formal (PADI, SSI, NACD, etc) or generally accepted parameters that differentiate cavern diving from cave diving? Or was that just the operator trying to rationalize why it's OK to take inexperienced divers into a cave for a buck? Or maybe both?

Depending of the agency, the definition may varies but overall is about places where the natural light is still seen and usually no longer in distance than a certain total length. Total length means vertical and horizontal together.
If I can remember right PADI is limited to a total of 40 metres from the surface (vertical and horizontal distance included).
This means that if you go 20m deep, you are allowed to go 20m maximum more inside the cavern.

Depending of the agency, the definition may varies but overall is about places where the natural light is still seen and usually no longer in distance than a certain total length. Total length means vertical and horizontal together.
If I can remember right PADI is limited to a total of 40 metres from the surface (vertical and horizontal distance included).
This means that if you go 20m deep, you are allowed to go 20m maximum more inside the cavern.

You're right. I just googled "PADI Cavern" and got the summary page for the Cavern specialization. 40 meters/130 ft from the visible light source.

I'm quite certain that we exceeded that on one at least one of the dives.

NACD allows 200 ft total linear penetration and a max depth of a 100 ft. So if the Cavern entry is at 50 ft, you can only go in 150 ft. The Safety/Cavern reel is a good guideline because you really shouldn't overextend yourself if that's in your hand.

I believe another difference is that the area of the cavern is within the natural daylight zone and the exit is visible (within 200 feet). I'm sure there are others who have different definitions, which may vary between geographic location and training agency. :)

Not only do agencies have specific definitions for caverns and caves, but they also have defined training requirements for who can enter caverns and caves. Onbviously, you have not met the requirements to enter a cavern, but you did so because you were under the supervision of a certified full caving instructor within the limits of the defined student-to-instructor ratio.

In addition to visible entrance/exit, restriction on depth & penetration, NAUI also has the important restriction that two divers must be able to swim comfortable abreast.

Every agency has that in their definition; it is the restriction restriction. :)

You're right. I just googled "PADI Cavern" and got the summary page for the Cavern specialization. 40 meters/130 ft from the visible light source.

I'm quite certain that we exceeded that on one at least one of the dives.

They do seem to stretch the definition down there but keep in mind that PADI is just one of many agencies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom