Cenotes around Playa del Carmen area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude - I know it is Halloween this week, but you should lay off the scary movies! :shocked2: You're imagination is really running to the absurd. :shocked2:

I am sorry if you found my question absurd. I am a former trauma nurse and have heard of stranger things happening. Please keep in mind that I have never been to a cenote, I have no expereince and no idea what the risks are and what the dangers are. That is why I am on this damn board asking more experienced people like you about them. So lighten the hell up! :idk:

Susan

Late coming to this party, but let me offer some observations.

First, background and qualifications: Me, PADI Divemaster, probably over 500 (closer to 1,000) dives, originally certified in '85; been all over the world diving. She, PADI Advanced, at the time of first cenote dive, a little more than 100 dives, and not a big fan of night dives.

Next, some observations on cenote diving: We dove our first one's about five years ago, staying in Puerto Aventuras, using Dive Aventuras and a wonderful cavediver named Mario. Only change in our gear was adding a little exposure protection in terms of 3mm shorty's over our normal 5mm wetsuits. Great briefing on the drive out (and you have much more time than a boat ride), and the two cenotes will be Chac Mool and Kukulcan.

On station, go through the briefing again, gear up (you get to carry your own tanks down to the jumping off place), and into the first one. Mario's equipment is standard cave gear, canister light, redundant out the a**; we've both got double lights (and I actually had three). The thing I find interesting in cenote diving versus a night dive, is that the walls reflect back the light, and that offers a sense of security (at least in me).

With a proper briefing, and an awareness of what we are about to experience, it makes the diving a lot more comfortable. Plus, being able to re-confirm before the descent makes it easier to prepare for what we are going to be seeing.

ZNCJI-12-12-2006-56.jpg

And yes, you will see signs like this.

But you will also see things like this:

BHHJO-TRCenote1.jpg

NALRD-TRCenote2.jpg

TRBEZ-12-12-2006-72.jpg

If you have a confidence in your own diving abilities, are responsible, have competent bouyancy, and abide by everything the dive guide tells you, you will do fine. Plus, do not hesitate to ask the dive shop the same questions you are asking here, before you get into the truck heading toward the cenote.

We had concerns prior to our first cenote dives, but now we look forward to them each year we head to the Yucatan for our winter diving vacation.

Trust yourself, and your abilities, rely on the advise of the experts you will be diving with, and never dive beyond your own comfort level.

I had to chuckle at the following:

The thing I find interesting in cenote diving versus a night dive, is that the walls reflect back the light, and that offers a sense of security (at least in me).
I'm not a huge fan of night diving because it is too dark. When I recall a cave image, the whole area is lit -- when I recall a night dive, it is dark.

Just be careful--I went for a couple of guided dives there last year, and now I'm booked to go back in May to begin my cave training. You might get bitten by the bug and have the same thing happen to you!

Wow.... you ask questions and we keep giving you answers, now you are calling this a "damn board" and telling me to lighten the hell up? I think you need to relax a bit and understand we are all trying to help you. As for me, I am done.

Robin, sorry. I felt attacked by your comment. It sounded condescending. Perhaps that is not how you meant it.

Robin, sorry. I felt attacked by your comment. It sounded condescending. Perhaps that is not how you meant it.

Sue - I was trying to help and tried to inject a little humor, trying to explain to you that your fears are not realistic. The fact that you lashed out at me and ScubaBoard instead of thinking about all the comments and help I have tried to give you reflects back on you.

late late to this party...my two cents. i was just out of OW two weeks with no dives under my belt except DARK MURKY COLD LAKE WATER. I ended up my first dive in a cenote. I may carry with me a touch more of the "first one in the water" type than you, but fellow diver, I found heaven.

Period. Its not that dark, you have a flash light given to you at the dive center. The person in front and behind you is so close their fins are practically on your mask, ( yeah move back a hair) and there is VERY LITTLE TIME IN A PURE OVERHEAD ENVIRONMENT. most of it is going in and out of the daylight.

You are following a guide that has done this hundreds of times and it is safe. I would take a guided centoe dive any day over an open ocean with currents and darkness....

Please , try it . If for any reason you are not comfortable your guide will take you back to the surface. but dont not do it unless your fear is so extreme then, maybe try a snorkel to get comfortable for a day and then try it.

I hope you post and let us know how it went for you.

wendy wendola

Susan:
I find you a better diver than you would probably think, because any diver that asks before doing in my book is a good diver, it is always good to ask and find out....Believe me when I did my first wreck narrow penetration dive at 120ft long years ago I did ask several questions that maybe some people found to be even humorous....right now I am checking on doing my full cave course after 10 years of being a Scuba Instructor and over 7000 dives, and believe me, my questions and my scenario examples to the experts may seem weird but I do not care.
CAVERN DIVING IS AWESOME....like everything in diving you follow guidelines and you are perfectly fine, no boat ride, no salt water, no currents, but on the other hand I must tell you that the most dangerous problems you will find like on every single dive is the MIND playing with you....feel free to pm me if you have any questions, check out Manta Divers!Toll Free Cancun 1-800-659-0712 - Home we have an excellent cavern guide one of the best in the world....or for any doubts or questions no matter what questions....
hope this info helps

I can't say enough good things about Playa Scuba! Klaus was an exceptional, personable, and extremely knowledgable guide who went out of his way to make our first Cenote experience a fantastic one. Check out Trip Advisor - Reviews of Playa Scuba for additional reviews. I"ve been meaning to post my photos and experience to this site for two years, and unfortunately have never gotten around to it. As an example of the personal attention he is known for, Klaus went out of his way to drive over half the way back to Dos Ojos after my son discovered he had left his Oakley sunglasses there!

In the three days we were diving with Klaus, I also had an opportunity to watch Luis in action with some younger diver trainees. He had a rapport with them that made me confident that he is a fantastic instructor.

We dove Dos Ojos, and if you have any concerns about cenote diving, this would be the one I'd recommend. Yes, you should have a light, but most of the dive is within sight of light. For those portions that aren't, you are so enamored with the beauty of the cavern that you don't really think about it. There are guide lines throughout, and there are rooms inside that you can actually surface in and breathe fresh air. I'd e-mail Klaus directly at info@playascuba.com
with your concerns. If you go to their website, you'll even see Klaus' phone numbers. My wife was also concerned, and he was able to address them easily.

You may try diving cenote The Pit. It's more like an open water dive and the most beautiful place I've ever dived.

Back
Top Bottom