cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samcvic

Registered
Reaction score
Any info out there on the differnt cenotes that you can dive while staying at Cozumel?

One of the members of our dive club just came back from Mexico where she did some Cenotes diving and said she loved it. She said you can go to Playa Del Carmen across form Cozumel and a couple of miles into the Jungle you can do some Cenotes diving. So maybe you should check out Playa Del Carmen dive shops online and email them

When we were in Cozumel, we asked around and found one of the divemasters was cave cert. He arranged to meet us at the ferry to Playa del Carmen and had a Suburban waiting for us. He and another guy (driver) loaded our gear. Went to a dive shop and they loaded the tanks. Went to Cenote Chac Mol did a dive went to Cenote Taj Mahal did a dive, had lunch at the cantina there. (They had taken our order before the dive - Beer was extra). took us back to the ferry, loaded our gear on. $130 US per diver. Ask around Coz.

Robert :doctor:

samcvic,
We dove the cenotes in March last year. If you're staying in Coz, contact Dante at Scuba Libre in Playa. They have a certified cave master named Peter that is great (speaks 5-languages fluently). They will take care of you from the dock at the ferry, to the cenote, and back. scubadante@yahoo.com. Their shop is located close to the beach on Calle 4 just east of 5th. Tell Dante that Bill and Stacy from Colorado recommended you contact them.
Good Luck
Bill

A few years ago we were in Coz staying at La Cieba and four of us spoke to a taxi driver who said he knew where there was a cenote on Coz. We got two taxi's, set up some redundant doubles, loaded them into the cabs and were off.

The cenote was near Chankanab, a little inland. We drove on a dirt road, made a right into a swamp, and a couple of hundred yards in there was a clearing in the green slime. I remember thinking "I'm not diving in there" when we drove up, until we looked in the clearing. There in the water was the entrance to a really great cave. We dove for about an hour (we had plenty of air left, but made an arrangement with the taxi drivers to pick us back up in an hour), depth was only 35' (we went into the lower chute). The upper chute was only in about 15-20'. The water was clear, but brackish in spots. It was fresh water on the roof of the cave, salt water on the floor, and brackish in the middle...VERY COOL!

About 100' into the cave we came across a sign that was put there by the Florida cave diving association saying "100 divers have died in caves just like this one, do not enter unless cave certified". It was a little strange reading that while diving, makes you think too much.

If you can find someone to take you there, it's definitely worth the trouble. Of course there's no surface support available so I recommend diving redundant systems. We did and had no problems.

One in our group did have some problems with the closed in space. They (he and an instructor) were in the top chute and he starting kicking too much and silted it out. Good thing they had a line tied on. I doubt he'll ever dive caves again.

I don't know the exact location, but I remember seeing a map online somewhere that had a dive flag right where the cave was. If I come across it, I'll post a link.

Enjoy....

I found the link:
The cenote is called
Aerolito De Paraiso .

I did several cenote dives last September and did my diving with Aquatech. Check out their website HERE

I had a great time and am looking forward to returning this year. Prior to my trip, I too, was in search of any info on the cenotes. I located a book at my local Barnes and Noble, "The Dive Sites of Cozumel, Cancun, & the Mayan Riviera" (ISBN 0-8442-4858-4), which has a section on the cenotes. It was a good reference to use for the dives.

Thanks for the info guys. I actually got to dive Choc Mol. It was offered in a dive package while we were in Cancun. In hindsite I wish I would have done more of these and less of average cancun diving.

I checked out that book, I may have to pick up a copy.

For all you cenote divers out there, be sure you take advantage of going to an IMAX theater and watch "JOURNEY INTO AMAZING CAVES". If you've never been in a cenote ... this will wet your appetite.

samcvic,

I'm glad you got to do a cenote dive while you were down there. Chac Mol was my first cenote dive, where we went to see Cauac Na (Monster's House), a HUGE stalactite. After diving the cenotes, the reef diving just doesn't seem as exciting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom