Certification Prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

while my local dive shop here outside Atlanta charges $950 and uses elearning for the classroom portion. No way could I recommend anyone spend that much for an OW class. Surprisingly, my LDS prices for specialty courses etc are all actually reasonable.

Just out of curiosity, does that shop include anything else in their open water course? Like enriched air? Dry suit? More dives? Better equipment (like dry suits that don't leak). $950 is steep, but I can see how it could be justified in terms of going above an beyond across the board.

Just out of curiosity, does that shop include anything else in their open water course? Like enriched air? Dry suit? More dives? Better equipment (like dry suits that don't leak). $950 is steep, but I can see how it could be justified in terms of going above an beyond across the board.

I didn't do it with them, and haven't seen anything specific mentioned, so I honestly can't say for sure one way or another.

I have a family friend who has been diving for 60 years, and even he recommended new over used for my first kick at the can.

I have given the same advice, with the caveat that going for the high end may be a waste of recourses.

My thought is that this is life safety equipment, so why mess about.

The true safety gear is between your ears, it's developed by good training, formal and informal.

As you say different strokes for different folks.

Around here:
Dive and let dive.

On the other hand, diving locally in the great white north is a tougher, and more expensive, cat to skin. Not only the difference between cold and warm water diving gear, but the number of divers involved make for a smaller secondary market with higher prices.

Bob

[QUOTE="Bob DBF, post: 8440183, member: 138622"On the other hand, diving locally in the great white north is a tougher, and more expensive, cat to skin. Not only the difference between cold and warm water diving gear, but the number of divers involved make for a smaller secondary market with higher prices.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure, up here in the Puget Sound, there are a number of mills.

On that point, I'll add that all scuba gear sold today is "good quality." Cheap gear that is likely to fail and hurt someone does not exist. Even the least expensive regulator is safe.

It is true, if you keep inside the regulators limitations.

I do not want to try a cheep entry level non sealed regulator in 2*C water. But for 15*C it's safe. And as long as you get a regulator made for cold waters, there are not any big safety differences.

if you are planning to dive locally in cold water, an open water course somewhere tropical is going to set you up for a rude awakening when you return.

I did that, SSI OW+ SSI AA in SEA, then back home and bought everything and a kitchen sink. Started to dive dry with some buddies from the local (informal) club. Worked just fine. No rude awakening, (yet)

@Bob DBF Thanks for your reply Bob.

Yes my friend did tell me not to go crazy right away buying all the expensive bells and whistles, that there was a great selection of less expensive options that would do me just fine.

I think the only spot that I really overspent on was the Hydros Pro when I'm sure I could have found something a bit cheaper, but I really liked the look of it and how it fit.

It only becomes a waste of money to me if I give up the hobby quickly........which I don't see me doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom