Certification Prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The prices may also differ if you go boat diving or shore diving! I know if we certify via boat dives we charge more, since it costs money for the charter.

As for cost comparison, we are located in Honolulu (typically an expensive place to do anything) and our AOW only costs $475.

(If you want to see all our prices for comparison, they're listed here: Hawaii Eco Divers | Dive Tours and Prices. Best Oahu Scuba Diving! ...Go to the bottom for certification costs)

A really great place to find dive buddies close to you is Dive Buddy. Once you put in your location, it will show you other divers within a distance you prefer up to 150 miles. You can search for dive shops, dive ops, dive locations, and other information worldwide. It's a great resource.

As for costs, check if there are dive shops offering other certification agencies such as SDI, SSI, etc. and compare pricing. You may be able to find something for less money that offers an equivalent certification.

YES I love Dive Buddy! Also, as soon as you get out there more I'm sure you will get connected to like-minded people that also love to dive :) I wouldn't worry about it if I were you!

WOW... RUN... I put my entire rig together for ~$1100 - BC, reg, octo, gauges, pc, mask fins boots and snorkel.

And this was all new gear? Can you share the details, i.e. specifically which model of each and how much you paid for each item? Your $1100 for that list of gear truly sounds... fantastic.

The problem I have with your claim is that some new divers will take it to heart and convince themselves that $1100 is a normal price for a complete set of new scuba gear. I also notice that you didn't include a wetsuit with your list.

And this was all new gear? Can you share the details, i.e. specifically which model of each and how much you paid for each item? Your $1100 for that list of gear truly sounds... fantastic.

The problem I have with your claim is that some new divers will take it to heart and convince themselves that $1100 is a normal price for a complete set of new scuba gear. I also notice that you didn't include a wetsuit with your list.

Me too
because I'm getting gear ready for hubby and me around 6000 to 6500

I've spent well over $12,000 in certifications and have probably $30,000 in gear so far.

If you love the sport, you've only just begun to spend money.
Oh thank you. Far from what I did or could do. But I am indefinitely cured now from thinking I spend too much... Thank you...:)

Be right back with what I have and what i paid

item /model /price

1. Mask : TUSA Liberator-Plus Two Window Mask - 49.95 (on Leisurepro)
2. Fins : TUSA X-Pert Zoom Open Heel Split Fins - 75.00 (closeout at Scuba Toys)
3. Boots : Generic - $25 (Scuba Toys)
4. Snorkel: Blue Reef Cobra Flex Snorkel - $18.95 (Leisurepro)
5. BCD: Aeris Oceans 5 - $250.00 (closeout on Leisurepro)
Regulator:
6. 1st / 2nd I really like the Cressi XS Compact 7. AC2 Regulator $250.00 (on Leisurepro)
7. Octopus: I really like the Mares MV Octopus $90.00 (on Leisurepro)
8. Gauges/Compass/ PC: Oceanic VEO100 w SPG and compass : $200.00 (closeout at Scuba Toys)

Total: $958.90

Notes:

1: Mask, Fins, Boots and gauges all came from Scuba Toys in Carrollton (wonderful folks to deal with)

2: BC, Snorkel from Leisurepro.com

3: I am diving with my 29 yr old 1st/2nd stage and octopus, but would not hesitate to update my rig with the above listed items - also at Leisurepro.

4: I DO like the piston style regulators, it's all i have ever used. Good for me because i can buy a more reasonably priced regulator.

5: PC - I do not need the fanciest pc, so I go with a basic model that I have to look at and know how to use. So, no backlighting, quick disconnect, air integration, alarms, downloading, etc.

Last edited:
I think you have a typo on the bcd. otherwise, pretty standard pricing. a dgx bpw, dgx deep 6 regs, aqualung i100/closeout i300, and some deep 6 eddy fins is roughly the same pricing.

I think you have a typo on the bcd. otherwise, pretty standard pricing. a dgx bpw, dgx deep 6 regs, aqualung i100/closeout i300, and some deep 6 eddy fins is roughly the same pricing.

Sorry - fixed it - but the total at the bottom was correct :)

I also notice that you didn't include a wetsuit with your list.

Correct. But wetsuits are cheap too - I spent 125-130 for my Bare 3/2, which I use for spring and fall waterskiing season.

In the Caribbean, where 99% of my diving happens, I use a 1.5 mil O'neill heater top. There was only 2 or 3 times I wish I;d had a full suit during the red sea aggressor trip.

Back
Top Bottom