Certification Recognition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

susanamart

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'd like to know how does it work for divers in the USA. Does the governmente has anything to do with the certification recognition there, or anyone who presents the certification from any certification agencie is recognized as a diver and has permission to do it?

Currently no government involvement with recreational diving with the exception of the Canadian province of Quebec.

For all intents and purposes, the various dive industry players have agreed to recognize each others certifications. This is a relatively simple process at open water level but becomes a little more complex as one moves up through technical diver and instructor ratings.

The RSTC and WRSTC plays some role in this process for sport diving levels, since member agencies have tacitly agreed by their participation to accept each others standards as equivalents to their own. This does not mean all standards are the same... just that they are mutually recognized.

We hear of problems occasionally... an operator in an out of the way spot refusing to honor the agreement, but this is becoming extremely rare among the major agencies.

Why do you ask?

I'm trying to get information about worldwide procedures on this matter.

I'm Portuguese and recently our government made a law that oblies all divers that have obtained their certification here, no matter which agencie is involved and even thought they have the international certification card, to ask for a national tittle and to pay for it. This will only be used for diving in Portugal.
If the same Portuguese gets the same certification in the same agencie but in any other country, it will be automaticly recognized because the card is considered an internacional certification. This is compeltly non-sense, and i'm trying to make something about it. So, just gadering information.

No, the government has nothing to do with the certification agencies. Other than possibly some local ordinances that must be followed. Those who may check your certification would be instructors (if going to a higher level), dive shops, resorts & dive charters.

Oh, and by the way, they will gives us the national tittle as long as they recognize the agencies. In this moment only PADI, CMAS and some other portuguese agencie is recognized. I have heard that SSI as already asked for the recognition, but still no official answer....

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

2 identical threads merged
No double posting please

Oh, and by the way, they will gives us the national tittle as long as they recognize the agencies. In this moment only PADI, CMAS and some other portuguese agencie is recognized. I have heard that SSI as already asked for the recognition, but still no official answer....

I will contact the director of our Portuguese office and clarify the situation for you. Sounds similar to the situation in France.

Similar to France? How so?

Im a CMAS, which means that the aggencie is recognized but I still have to get the national title. I just don't agree with this situation, no matter which agencie certifies you... Thay can try to recognize the agencies, but after that why do divers have to ask for a different title?

I'd like to direct your inquiry to our local office... we are aware of the developing situation, but it makes sense for you to deal direct if you don't mind

Portugal (Madera & Azores)
Submate LDA
Rua Coronel Bento Roma
Lote 920, LJ Esq
1700-122 LISBOA
Portugal
Phone: 351-21-874-1269
Mob: 351 919990349
Fax: 351-21-840-3729
E-mail: jneves@submate.pt
Web: Submate - TDI - SDI - ERDI - Portugal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/