Certification Requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedFishBlueFish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all! Has it been in your experience that dive operators in Key Largo check each divers qualifications before going out to a dive site? The reason I'm asking is because my husband & I are heading to the Keys (for the first time) 7/28-8/03 and we only have PADI OW c-cards. I was debating on whether or not to invest in getting an advanced c-card down there but it is more expensive than other destinations I've browsed. When we were in Grand Cayman, the first dive we did after we got certified was 102 fsw (we did tell the divemaster we were newly certified & he kept a close eye on us). I guess what I'm really asking is: do they tend to keep you to 60 fsw if you only have a basic OW?

My dad only has a Basic open water certification and has been diving for over 30 years and it has never been a problem anywhere in the world. You should be just fine.

Having worked in the Keys Largo, most of the diving there is 30-40 ft deep. As long as you have your OW c-card, you are good to go. Normally Divemasters remain on the boats and do not lead the dives. To dive the big wrecks which are in the 90-130' deep, the dive ops require that you be Advanced OW or that you have your logs showing at least 4 deep dives in the past 12 months. Otherwise the dive ops require that you pay for a guide/DM to lead you on those deep wrecks. Key Largo is a great place to do your Advanced Class (5 dives) and hone your skills.

So I'll pipe in here on this one and say yes the dive operators here require an AOW or a log book that shows at least 3 dives below 80' in the last 6 months. The later may vary from shop to shop.

Air consumption is a primary concern and some of the wrecks can have some stiff currents on them, so we're looking for proof that someone has the certifications or experience to be able to handle these situations.

Most of the reef dives ranges from 20' to 60' with the majority averaging around 25'. Their are drop offs all along the Keys starting at 55' and going down to around 95'.

So you'll have some very nice dives with an OW certification. And if you're interested in the doing the wrecks you can hire an Instructor or Dive Master to go with you. The cost of that is usually $50 for one person and less per person cost if more than one.

Have fun and if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Diving,

My dad only has a Basic open water certification and has been diving for over 30 years and it has never been a problem anywhere in the world. You should be just fine.

As has been pointed out, this isn't the case in the Florida Keys. Most of the shops there do require an "advanced" cert or log book with recent dives in it to dive some of the sites. When I dove the Spiegel, there was a diver booked on the boat that wasn't allowed to do that dive because she was a brand new OW diver with very little experience. She was allowed to do the 40' reef dive after that, though.

You don't say how much experience your dad has. As others have pointed out, the community standard here in the Keys requires "recent verifiable deep diving experience" to put open water divers on the deep wrecks (Bibb, Duane, Spiegel, & Eagle).

As an open water diver, your dad qualified to dive to 60' max, in conditions similar to those he was certified in. If he wants to dive deeper, he should (IMO) continue his diving education.

For the same price as a guided dive, your dad could make an Adventure Dive (or two) with a local scuba instructor; and credit those dives toward his Advanced Open Water certification down the road (no time limit to complete).

Dive safely, have fun, and never stop learning!

I would highly recommend continuing your training by getting your advanced certification. We got ours during a visit to Key Largo. In fact, the certification included a number of dives, so the price was pretty painless. The staff at Rainbow Reef Dive Center did a great job with us and now our level of confidence is so much better.

I would highly recommend continuing your training by getting your advanced certification. We got ours during a visit to Key Largo. In fact, the certification included a number of dives, so the price was pretty painless. The staff at Rainbow Reef Dive Center did a great job with us and now our level of confidence is so much better.
To be fair, a large portion of those who take AOW aren't happy with the course.

To be fair, a large portion of those who take AOW aren't happy with the course.
And, a number of them don't have the prior dive experience that will make the course worth their time

A couple of years ago I contacted the Amoray dive resort. I was told that my 1977 NASDS certification only allowed me to go to 60 feet. (I recall being certified to 132 feet.) Anyway, the old and recent experience in the log did not matter. I never did the AOW, as it was not invented when I got into diving. Recently, the classes I've seen for it were not particularly advanced.

I took a short vacation elsewhere. At least i as not surprized by showing up and then hearing "no".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom