Certification Training Differences - Holy War?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottbeach

Contributor
Reaction score
I've now found something like 6 different OW certification groups. Now, what's the difference?

PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc....

The SSI course was 5, 6.5 hour classes followed by OW.

PADI was a much "looser" group... certainly no 6.5 hour classes each week.

I don't get it... what's the difference in the programs?

Here's SSI's blurb off their website ( www.ssiusa.com )
With all the professional training programs out there, why should you choose to become an SSI Diver?

Quality Dealers. SSI Authorized Dealers are carefully selected to meet our high standards. We only work with full-service, reputable retailers and resorts who run a professional scuba school, sell and service equipment, and offer additional services to meet all your diving needs.

Quality Instructors. SSI is the only agency that requires instructors to affiliate with a full-service Authorized Dealer. SSI Instructors are monitored on-site for adherence to the SSI Training Standards, professional conduct and performance, to ensure your course is taught right.

SSI's the Leader in Home Study Training. Home study is the hottest thing in dive training because it allows you to spend more time in the water developing ability and comfort. In 1990 SSI pioneered this technique, and we're still the leader today.
Comfort Through Repetition. SSI Instructors use our highly-effective water training method called Comfort Through Repetition. Scuba skills become second nature, so you can relax and enjoy yourself when you go diving.

World-Wide Respect and Recognition. SSI divers are respected all over the world because of SSI's reputation for training excellent divers. With over 1,900 Authorized Dealers in 90 countries, your SSI certification card will be welcomed anywhere you want to dive.

Rick

This is a little bit of rambling...

My experience with PADI was when I was getting my Open Water Certification. IMO the material did not cover all necissary areas, it skimmed over too many important subjects, and left too many questions unanswered. I feel that one student who was having a hard time in my class was eventually just handed a c-card, because it was taking too long for him to understand. The class took a total of 4 hours in the classroom, 4 hours in the pool, and two dives (they called it four dives, but they actually made it all into two.

I don't consider myself slow by any means, but I think if I hadn't read my girlfriend's book ahead of time, I might have had a problem with the speed of the class. They didn't even give us our books until the class started.

Recently I took my Nitrox class from NAUI. I feel completely different about this class. The subject matter was concise, but covered the information completely. I know that Nitrox is a more involved subject, with lots of math, but I would think the OW class would take at least as long.

Although I haven't had experience with SSI, a good friend has taken all his classes with them, and thinks their material is very well presented also.

Wezzle; I think you got a bad shop. I'm not a PADI instructor (nor do I want to be) but I think that the 4 dives are required by the course standard. If you got only 2, the instructor could (and should) lose his/her rating. Any PADI Instuctors want to comment?

Scottbeach; PADI does OK for the type of divers they train for OW. I have heard that 85% of PADI divers never go past OW and 95% never go past AOW. At the OW/AOW level, what I have seen mostly on this board is that the instructor is the most important part of the equation. So talk to the instructor a few times, maybe stick your head in during one of thier classes, but make sure you are dealing with a professional that you feel comfortable with.

Of the different agencies

PADI and NAUI are rec focuesed. PADI teaches the minimum to be safe. PADI is also the best marketed. YMCA is also rec focused but they teach as much as they can to cover more eventualities, so it is a six month course (or was...)

IANTD and GUE are more Technically focued.

I'm not aware of where SSI fits in.

There are major (and some minor) philosophical differences in how different agencies approach teaching folks to dive. Additionally, each agency has different standards. Now, in addition to agency differences there are also differences between instructors in the same agency. If you are looking for a class you have some research to do and some decisions to make to choose the best class for you. Check out http://diverlink.com/newdiver/ for useful information on choosing a class.

DSSW,

WWW™

PADI, SSI, NAUI, It's all alphabet soup. The most important aspect is the INSTRUCTOR! The class material and coarse content are all pretty much the same. The instructor makes all the difference. I have worked with both SSI and PADI and have had great experiences with instructors from both. On the other hand there are crappy instructors from both agencies as well. Find an instructor that you like and disregard the agency.

As far as not completing the required dives, that instructor should be reported to PADI, preferable by a PADI Divemaster or above. That person should not be teaching. The downside is that the people in the class should not have recieved their open water cards because they did not complete the class.

Scott

sometimes my mind gets way ahead of my typing.

We completed all the skills that were required, but we actually dove twice.
I agree that this was wrong - and an unfortunate thing is that being so new its hard to know what is right and wrong in diving.

The instructor did a good job conveying the information - I felt safe at all times, and even now with good experience behind me I feel positive about MY experience with the instructor, I just felt that the guy who was having trouble was pushed along.

I also have a problem with getting certified in what basically amounts to a weekend. - There just isn't time to assimilate all the information that makes a safe diver.

**Please understand that this is my personal opinion**

Atleast here in Sweden the certificates of the "big two"
ie NAUI and PADI is interchangeable
that means that if you have a openwater you can crossover to naui and do a adcanced scuba and then cross back to do a padi rescue and still be fully accepted.

when I personally go diving ( I am PADI trained) I normally dive with both PADI and NAUI and CMAS educated divers and we make no different on what organisation you dive with, its what you know, your attitude and your behaviure at the divesites that sets the boarders on where you are welcome. never any certificates.

So basically aleast I think, that wich ever of the training organisations you are using, that matters less, talk to the instructor and see how he/she is, that is alot more important than what organisation he is educating within.

and if you do not get the required parts of a course then talk to the organisation the teacher teaches within, remember that you pay for those requirements ! they are not required for nothing.

dive safe

when I personally go diving ( I am PADI trained) I normally dive with both PADI and NAUI and CMAS educated divers and we make no different on what organisation you dive with, its what you know, your attitude and your behaviure at the divesites that sets the boarders on where you are welcome. never any certificates.

I agree completely - as long as a diver is safe and considerate of others there is no difference - even then the difference isn't based on agency but based on people.

My experience with Padi left a bad taste in my mouth, but my girlfriend, who is also padi o/w certified had a good experience.

My gripe is with what the material covered more than how it was presented.

Believe it or not, there are many more training agencies than those that you have encountered.

:snore: The scuba industry has a group called the Recreational Scuba Training Council which is composed of representitives of the various training agencies. The RSTC sets standards for what should be taught in introductory courses. That is why the skills taught are so similar between agencies.

:snooze: Each agency (PADI, SSI, NAUI, YMCA, SDI, BSAC, CMAS, etc...) decides how to meet the standards of the RSTC. There are a few differences in the approach each agency takes and the length of time required to complete an introductory course.

:deal: Some agencies strongly push equipment ownership. :stupid: Some don't teach dive tables, but teach you to rely upon dive computers. :crawl: Some agencies teach material in an introductory course that is equivalent to an advanced course in another agency.

What you will learn is, in the end, up to the instructor. The agencies set the minimum standards to certify. Choose a quality instructor and discuss what you want to get out of diving to ensure that the training you receive will adequately prepare you for your goals.

Final disclaimer. I am a PADI Instructor. Instructors trained through other agencies may have other views.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom