Certified today!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadaddy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After a lengthy delay from a nasty ear infection I finally completed my open water dives today and am officially certified :D

I did my first two dives last week and then did 4 more today (I'm wiped... what am I even doing on SB right now? lol)

The last two dives today went great but we had to cut the last one short because I couldn't stop my mask from flooding. It has never happened before and I'm baffled that it would start leaking like that all of a sudden (I spent 25 min underwater...most of which was spent clearing my mask and trying to fix the problem). Still had a great day though. Looking forward to many more dives :14:

Yay! Congratulations :bounce:

With mask, was the strap too tight? That causes mine to leak. Otherwise did you have hair or a hood in the way of the seal?

Congratulations, welcome to the club.

If you've never had problems with mask flooding, look for a specific cause, either hair under the skirt (too late now) or possibly a problem with the mask itself.

I've had the seal between the lenses and the skirt spring a leak when the retaining rings pop loose. Test the mask by putting it on and inhaling to make a vacuum. If it won't hold a seal stick your face into water in the kitchen sink and see if you can spot the leak.

Good luck.

Conga-rats.

:wave-smil

No matter what the deal with the mask was - you worked through it.:)

Ya done good! Now go out and enjoy it!!

I had a dive once where my mask leaked more on that one dive than the total of dives up to that point. The problem? It was my first dive with a hood. The mask strap was at the crown of my head instead of straight back and it was causing the mask to unseal, and I didn't feel it. After the mask came off at 90' and I was able to put it back on, the leak stopped.

Congratulations! Welcome to the wild and wacky world of SCUBA diving and ScubaBoard!

I know it sounds daft, but on my first few "post course" dive, my mask was permanently leaking (not much but noticible) and eventually the person I was with worked it out - I was smiling too much.

Its something I learned to live with as it tends to happen alot.... I'm guessing if it was leaking that much you probably weren't smiling all the time, but then the others have all said the other common reasons I'd associate a mask leaking - too tight, hair, seal bent in etc.

What ever it was, welcome to scuba diving and remember a bad days diving is better than a good day in work :wink:

Back
Top Bottom