CESA Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think the OP was asking about it being taught from 20+ meters though-- but whether a certified diver should progress to trying it from those depths (which I would say not a good idea, for me anyway).
You are right. It was just a question as to what to do to dive more safely.

You are right. It was just a question as to what to do to dive more safely.

What does this mean then?
Would it be considered safe to practise CESA training from 10 then 20 and eventually 30 meters? The idea would be to do it with a full tank, valve opened and surrounded by an Instructor and a DM.

I have the feeling that some people believe that if your training was top notch and that you thoroughly follow it and you are Superman who never makes a mistake, nothing will happen to you. Well, this is not my state of mind. I love diving but being underwater is not natural for a human being. So, I am looking at all ways to prevent any issues in the future. I even plan to do tech training to be better prepared while I don't want to do tech diving (I won't dive if I don't have a direct access to the surface, I won't dive below 40 meters and I plan my dives conservatively to avoid deco).
Let me give you an example. I was almost knocked out 3 times in my life... at the surface. I was down lying on my back trying to get my senses back. Without too much details, the protocol was: 1) Breath. 2) Open your eyes. 3) Check your ability to move your limbs. 4) Try to assess for other damage. 5) Take your time... But this is on earth. Underwater is an alien world for humans no matter how comfortable we are swimming, snorkeling or diving. So, as long I will dive, I will try to improve, to learn more and I will ask stupid questions :).

It means that I will test horizontally for now. Even if it is not perfect.

In this case, you can do it on your own freediving without scuba equipment in the pool exhaling all the way. I think that you should take proper free diving course with a certified free diving instructor and you will learn a lot.

I have the feeling that some people believe that if your training was top notch and that you thoroughly follow it and you are Superman who never makes a mistake, nothing will happen to you. Well, this is not my state of mind. I love diving but being underwater is not natural for a human being. So, I am looking at all ways to prevent any issues in the future. I even plan to do tech training to be better prepared while I don't want to do tech diving (I won't dive if I don't have a direct access to the surface, I won't dive below 40 meters and I plan my dives conservatively to avoid deco).
Let me give you an example. I was almost knocked out 3 times in my life... at the surface. I was down lying on my back trying to get my senses back. Without too much details, the protocol was: 1) Breath. 2) Open your eyes. 3) Check your ability to move your limbs. 4) Try to assess for other damage. 5) Take your time... But this is on earth. Underwater is an alien world for humans no matter how comfortable we are swimming, snorkeling or diving. So, as long I will dive, I will try to improve, to learn more and I will ask stupid questions :).
If you dive long enough eventually you will be challenged in some way. This was an equipment issues that I should have caught before splashing but didn’t.

So who’s ever brought up their second stage in a lobster bag?

If you dive long enough eventually you will be challenged in some way. This was an equipment issues that I should have caught before splashing but didn’t.

So who’s ever brought up their second stage in a lobster bag?
Thanks for sharing. It must not have been fun. I did not understand everything as I don't know what a swivel is (I hope that I don't have an equipment that I don't know about). I have one question though: once, I folded a hose to stop a free flow but it did not work (it was a test not real situation). The flow out was still strong. Is there a specific way to do it?

This was a rubber hose and it slowed the flow a great deal but did not stop it and I have no idea if that might damage a hose, especially a flex hose.

A swivel...
678E2219-7B69-4751-B8CA-813654C68A44.jpeg

In this case, you can do it on your own freediving without scuba equipment in the pool exhaling all the way. I think that you should take proper free diving course with a certified free diving instructor and you will learn a lot.
Probably good advice, but of course a CESA on scuba I figure is somewhat different. Reg in the mouth for one thing, dealing with ascending with weights another, etc.
I think that if you follow the simple rules and do everything correctly, doing it on scuba is how you should practice it since you are diving on scuba.

With your approach it doesn't sound likely you will become a "statistic" due to procedure failure.
We all set personal limits or "rules". You've mentioned a couple. Similar to my general rule of no deeper than 30' (10 meters) when solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom