Chamber dive today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had the good fortune to take part in a hyperbaric chamber dive today. It was in the chamber at Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, IL, a near suburb of Chicago. LGH has the only chamber open to divers and other emergencies in the Chicago area. It's also a Level I Trauma center. This chamber can hold 12 people packed very tightly in. My instructors were the ones who scheduled this, months ago. It's only held once a month.

We were taken down to 130 ft. There were 12 of us. We had empty water bottles and balloons to demonstrate Boyle's Law. When we were descending it was very hot - around 100 degrees. As we were coming up, it cooled down quite a bit and actually got foggy in the chamber (they can't totally dry out the air fed to the chamber). It was funny to see. We brought our dive computers into the chamber with us, immersing them in water to activate them. It was neat watching my computer throughout the "dive."

I was told a lot of divers say they equalize more throughout a chamber dive than on a real dive. Not sure how true that is, but I did equalize a lot.

I got very silly and giggly when narced. I had a very high pitched voice at depth due to the pressure change. Minnie Mouse on steroids! One diving family was there - dad, mom, and their teenaged sons, who were very funny to watch as they got narced.
smiley_abused.gif

The respiratory therapist in charge of the chamber did a very good 45 minute lecture beforehand. He has been at the hospital for about 30 years and has been doing these presentations and chamber dives since 1994, when they began at the request of the local Chicago dive community. He said more than 1000 divers have been through the chamber for this presentation. Only one person out of all those divers has gotten DCS from the chamber dive. This hospital only sees 2-3 cases of DCS a year. He talked about DCS, AGE, etc., from a medical perspective, which was an interesting difference from the way it was taught in OW class.

The dive profile is from my computer. The picture is from the video screens showing the inside of the chamber while our dive was taking place. It was almost like we were astronauts. LOL :D
IMG_3190.PNG
IMG_3177.JPG

Last edited:
That looks like it was a fun experience! I'm sure the respiratory therapist was having fun too.

The $64 is, did it cost anything and how do folks go about scheduling a similar ride?

It was $20 a person. These are only held once a month, and I'm told they are scheduled many months in advance. You just can't do it on your own, it seems. You have to have a group booked. For more information, I'd suggest looking up the chamber contact info on the hospital's website and go from there.

I had the good fortune to take part in a hyperbaric chamber dive today. It was in the chamber at Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, IL, a near suburb of Chicago. LGH has the only chamber open to divers and other emergencies in the Chicago area. It's also a Level I Trauma center. This chamber can hold 12 people packed very tightly in. My instructors were the ones who scheduled this, months ago. It's only held once a month.

We were taken down to 130 ft. There were 12 of us. We had empty water bottles and balloons to demonstrate Boyle's Law. When we were descending it was very hot - around 100 degrees. As we were coming up, it cooled down quite a bit and actually got foggy in the chamber (they can't totally dry out the air fed to the chamber). It was funny to see. We took brought our dive computers into the chamber with us, immersing them in water to activate them. It was neat watching my computer throughout the "dive."

I was told a lot of divers say they equalize more throughout a chamber dive than on a real dive. Not sure how true that is, but I did equalize a lot.

I got very silly and giggly when narced. I had a very high pitched voice at depth due to the pressure change. Minnie Mouse on steroids! One diving family was there - dad, mom, and their teenaged sons, who were very funny to watch as they got narced.
smiley_abused.gif

The respiratory therapist in charge of the chamber did a very good 45 minute lecture beforehand. He has been at the hospital for about 30 years and has been doing these presentations and chamber dives since 1994, when they began at the request of the local Chicago dive community. He said more than 1000 divers have been through the chamber for this presentation. Only one person out of all those divers has gotten DCS from the chamber dive. This hospital only sees 2-3 cases of DCS a year. He talked about DCS, AGE, etc., from a medical perspective, which was an interesting difference from the way it was taught in OW class.

The dive profile is from my computer. The picture is from the video screens showing the inside of the chamber while our dive was taking place. It was almost like we were astronauts. LOL :DView attachment 409651 View attachment 409652

Your dive profile looks exemplary. Perfect buoyancy and incredible descent and ascent speed control and consistency. I commend you and your instructors on you buoyancy control. :) :) :)

Your dive profile looks exemplary. Perfect buoyancy and incredible descent and ascent speed control and consistency. I commend you and your instructors on you buoyancy control. :) :) :)

:rofl3:

@Marie13 more information on being narked. When did you notice the feeling time and depth?
When did the feeling subside time and depth? Very cool glad you got to do it. :thumb:

@Marie13 more information on being narked. When did you notice the feeling time and depth?
When did the feeling subside time and depth? Very cool glad you got to do it. :thumb:

I was just somewhat light-headed and a bit woozy. Very giddy. Exactly like the one time I drank enough that I got semi-sloshed. It went away fairly quickly as we ascended. Don't remember time/depth for that. I started feeling it probably around 85-90 ft. I don't remember exactly as it came on rather gradually. My computer was in a bucket on the floor directly in front of me, and I was checking it fairly frequently. I wanted to do that so I actually asked for the third bucket (which no one else wanted) just for my computer.

My computer is a Geo 2.0. It started beeping and the red LED flashing as we got really deep. Not sure if it was at 130 ft or less. Interestingly, my computer was the only one sounding an audible alarm. Not sure if the other computers people brought have that function or if it was shut off.

Good experience you now have an idea of what it is like and when and what to expect.

Good experience you now have an idea of what it is like and when and what to expect.

Yes, but I don't dive clear, warm water. I will be doing two of the Great Lakes this summer and hope to maybe get some deeper quarry dives. So cold(er) and dark(er). Will be interested to see if I get "dark narced" under those conditions. My deep class will be on Lake Michigan next month.

The review around Boyle's and Henry's Law, as well as DCS/AGE symptoms, etc., was very good. Never hurts to reinforce that information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom