CHANGES IN STINAPA FEES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoccerDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
๐™Ž๐™ž๐™ข๐™ฅ๐™ก๐™ž๐™›๐™ฎ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™๐™๐™š ๐™‰๐™–๐™ฉ๐™ช๐™ง๐™š ๐™๐™š๐™š - As of January 1st, 2023, the nature fee will be easier to purchase for visitors coming to Bonaire. Currently, there are different fees for scuba diving, other water activities such as snorkeling or kitesurfing, and additional fees to enter Washington Slagbaai National Park. This can make it confusing and unfair that one activity pays more than the other. Starting in 2023, there will be only one calendar year fee of $40 that covers all water activities in the Bonaire National Marine Park. This one fee also includes entrance to Washington Slagbaai National Park.
๐Ÿ–๏ธ
๐Ÿž๏ธ

For cruise passengers, the fee will now be $10 to enter the Washinton Slagbaai Park. Beginning in 2024, cruise passengers will also have to pay a $10 Nature Fee to enter the Bonaire National Marine Park.

Perhaps I don't understand. Right now there is a $45 annual (calendar year) fee for divers and a $25 annual fee for non-divers; both fees include entrance to the Park. You are saying starting January it will become $40 for everybody. So the divers win a little bit, snorkelers lose. Where is this written down as fact?

Regarding cruise ship passengers, I wish the fee were $1000 and they would stay away.

Do cruisers not have to pay anything now? Is the fee built into their cruise fare that the cruise line then pays on their behalf?

Perhaps I don't understand. Right now there is a $45 annual (calendar year) fee for divers and a $25 annual fee for non-divers; both fees include entrance to the Park. You are saying starting January it will become $40 for everybody. So the divers win a little bit, snorkelers lose. Where is this written down as fact?

Regarding cruise ship passengers, I wish the fee were $1000 and they would stay away.
There is no $25 non-diver anymore everyone pays $40. Stinapa just announced today.

There is no $25 non-diver anymore everyone pays $40. Stinapa just announced today.
I see the announcement on STINAPA's Facebook page.

The Bonaire Reporter also describes this, and provides a very helpful poster of the changes.

Some other changes worth noting:

Residents of Bonaire and nearby islands no longer have to pay for scuba diving.

Cruise ship passengers no longer have to pay for scuba diving.

Kids are free until 13 now, was 12 before.

Mooring fees are increasing, 300% to 400% increases, ouch.

I wonder what the thinking is for no fee for cruise ship passengers is, maybe because they are there for such a short time.

Some other changes worth noting:

Residents of Bonaire and nearby islands no longer have to pay for scuba diving.

Cruise ship passengers no longer have to pay for scuba diving.

Kids are free until 13 now, was 12 before.

Mooring fees are increasing, 300% to 400% increases, ouch.

I wonder what the thinking is for no fee for cruise ship passengers is, maybe because they are there for such a short time.

Just like the tourist tax that was to be $50 good for the year that changed to $75 for each entry, the outcome could be different than the announcement.

But my interpretation is cruise ship passengers will pay $10 for the park and $10 to dive or snorkel. More fair than charging $45 for a single dive day and reasonable overall.

The increase from $240 to $1000 for a private mooring is extreme. And the increase from $10 to $35 per day for sailors is really over the top, for which there are no onshore facilities provided, just a block and a rope! Maybe BVI now charges similar fees and I may be out of date, but last time I sailed there you could just drop an anchor in the sand and overnight anywhere for no additional fee. That is not allowed here. So over $1000 per month for a mooring only. I would be disappointed to see the anchoring roads of Bonaire empty.

AGD

Back
Top Bottom