Changes to personality after a diving incident.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So... many of you have Tinnitus too? I have had it for between 25 to 30 years. I got mine suposedly from a virus that attacked my auditory nerve or nerves so the doctor said. It is at its loudest when diving but have gotten used to it. I sleep with a fan on just for the noise so it drowns out the ringing.....life goes on

So... many of you have Tinnitus too? I have had it for between 25 to 30 years. on
If only we could set this background noise to gentle, instrumental music, so we can sleep. My “auditory problem” sounds like the washing machine is off kilter, which I know is my own heartbeat pinging off auditory nerves, but makes me instinctively think I have to go fix something.

If only we could set this background noise to gentle, instrumental music, so we can sleep. My “auditory problem” sounds like the washing machine is off kilter, which I know is my own heartbeat pinging off auditory nerves, but makes me instinctively think I have to go fix something.
Mine is white noise, roaring, etc. punctuated by a very high pitched whine. If the engines are running behind me, they are amplified. It's fun.

I had to use a white noise machine to help me sleep when it first started up. I no longer need that I don't think. I do use ear plugs. LOL not wanting to disturb anyone else, you know just in case the sound leaks out. Hahaha
I don't know why it helps me sleep but for whatever reason it does. I need all the help I can get because I have such severe insomnia.

One of them kicked him which disorientated him.

A cerebral concussion might possibly also be included in the differential diagnosis..
As medical research has shown, even if the kick was not directly to the head, a whiplash effect on other parts of the body can be be transmitted to the brain.

Hi @Sparrowlegs ,

There may be several things at play here. As @Wookie mentioned, it sounds like your husband suffered from inner ear decompression sickness. If he lost hearing, he may also be suffering from tinnitus (ringing in the ears), which I can tell you from firsthand experience can leave one with little patience to deal with anything else. I've never heard of an incident of brain DCS leading to a permanent personality change but it's theoretically possible. @Storker raised the very real possibility of PTSD, and even absent that, losing a hobby that many people consider to be therapy could have been traumatic for him.

Diving is an interesting phenomenon. The very act of surviving (much less enjoying) an environment that requires life-support equipment and constant vigilance can be powerfully reinforcing and addictive. Your husband would have had to go through a grieving process, and if he has not recognized this, he may not have fully processed his loss. This is not intended to induce guilt and I'm offering it without any judgment, but the distance in your relationship is probably an additional stressor for him, though it may not appear that way at the moment. Have you considered relationship counseling? That may be a way to help him into a therapeutic relationship with a counselor and could serve as a bridge to individual counseling for him.

Best regards,
DDM

<edit> P.S. Who told him he could never dive again, and what was the rationale?

I think he decided as he didn't want anything like that to happen again and possibly lose more hearing. It's too late for us now I'm just trying to work out how our relationship broke down and though the diving incident didn't cause the break down of our relationship it certainly contributed to it.

Perhaps he has some "embarrassment" for lack of a better word, due to his new fear. Put all of this together with his previous taciturn disposition. Does this sound possible to you?

I had a serious accident several months ago. My wife says I'm still an *******...no change.

At the risk of sounding insensitive (and I by no means intend it to sound that way), but could there possibly be an affair at play here too?

The dive accident coinciding with some extra marital activities can be quite the guilt trip.

It nice of you to search out an answer even though the two of you have gone your separate ways, I wish you the best of luck.

John

Back
Top Bottom