Changing O-Ring With Battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I concur with your opinion on Suunto (although, just to be honest, same applies to all other dive computer manufacturers). However, your local O ring provider could be a solution for some computers but, in my experience -and let me tell you I change dive computers for a living- I have never been able to find with a local provider the exact O rings for the Suunto wrist units (D4, D6, S9 or Stinger). Suunto uses weird metric sizes for their computers and the only place I´ve been able to get those is from the guy on ebay.

Anytime you combine the words scuba and life support equipment in a product's description, all sanity in pricing gets thrown out the window.

I ran into a similar problem getting rings for an Oly PTO-20 housing, they don't make them anymore. Austin Seal was able to correctly measure the rings and order replacements. BTW, Oly wanted $60 for a set that cost me $6.50.

Not much help if you live outside of Austin because you have to take the rings in to be measured and then be sure that they fit once they come in. In addition, they have a $15 minimum order. That's a lot of $0.05 rings.

O-Rings, Inc. Since 1958 - Buy Online

AS568-026 (1-1/4 ID X 1-3/8 OD X 1/16 W)

-026 BN70 $0.04 This is Buna, good enough for a battery compartment.

-026 E70 $0.06 This is EPDM, not that oxygen safe is needed.

Well, I made it back in one piece. Battery compartment stayed dry as a bone even though I didn't change the o-ring this time around. I would appreciate it though if you wouldn't mind saying a little bit more about the differences between the o-rings you mention here? If they are only a couple of pennies in cost difference, why not just use the best one available? Is there any downside to using a different type of o-ring material (such as being less compressible)?

Back
Top Bottom