Chankannab National Park Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H20Bubbles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So everything I have read says Chankannab was hit very hard by Wilma... can anyone provide an up to date status on their conditions?

In December there was work going on as far as rebuilding structures and the "beach" along the shore line, but if you've ever been there, you know that a lot of the beauty of the part was in the vegetation and that was stripped bare by wilma. It had started to grow back but still had a long way to go.

The place was barely recognizable from a dive boat in December, and I think ggun said the same for when he was there last week.

diveborg:
In December there was work going on as far as rebuilding structures and the "beach" along the shore line, but if you've ever been there, you know that a lot of the beauty of the part was in the vegetation and that was stripped bare by wilma. It had started to grow back but still had a long way to go.

The place was barely recognizable from a dive boat in December, and I think ggun said the same for when he was there last week.

Yes, it's pretty bad. The big entry palapa is totally gone, as are nearly all of the other smaller ones; the restaurant palapa is up, but I don't know if it survived the storm (not likely) or has been replaced. All the sand is gone; what was the beach is now a rubble field of broken stone. The concrete buildings by the dolphin are are still standing, sans roofs. The dolphin pens are totally obliterated.

The vegetation on the whole west coast of the island is in really bad shape, as Wilma blew huge quantities of salt ashore and then it didn't rain appreciably for a couple of months. My guess is that the botanical gardens at Chankanaab are a casualty as well.

It will be interesting to see the diff when I go back in May.

Back
Top Bottom