Channel Island Crabs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bagging is tough, because of the size. And I only use my hands. (I only take males, more meat in the claws.) The meat is excellent, but the shell really is like armour, I've had to use a ball peen hammer and slip joint pliers to crack it! But once you get to it, it's great! Butter and lemon, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I'm told that catching them looks like a scene from the Matrix, lots of feinting and swinging of claws and hands, I try to catch a claw in each hand, then transfer both to one for the swim back, with the crab hanging off of my arm. (They are always the last thing I do during a dive.) My buddy has watched me, and I have been able to hear him laugh from 20' away, so it must be pretty entertaining. Not been pinched yet!

... they look more like sheep than decorator crabs on steroids :eek:ut:

We see these big buggers on virtually every dive in La Jolla canyon. While wrestling one large specimen into a good position for a photo I lost my grip on one claw and he immediately latched on to the thumb of the hand I still had holding the other claw. My buddy had to use both hands to pry his claw open. I thought I was going to lose that thumb! It was black and blue for two weeks. You definitely want to respect their strength.

They are known to break fingers bone and all with their claws. The females are easier to deal with as they have much smaller claws and are more docile. Get a big male and be careful!

Dr. Bill

Given the number of dead or dying bodies seen after mating, it is possible at least some die after the blessed event. This is speculation rather than a result of scientific study.

Dr. Bill

I saw a mess of 'em yesterday, includung the biggest male I've ever seen. How big? Big enought that I wasn't about to go 'mano-a-crabo' with him!:D

Looked like 30" at least. (Used my snorkle as a measuring device.)

Back
Top Bottom