channel islands, ca. diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abman

Contributor
Reaction score
hi all, just how many of you out there have experienced the wonders of diving the

channel islands. i've done all my diving in the islands aboard the truth aquatics boats.

what other boats have you been on and how was your experiences? i've got 1 more lobster trip scheuled this year and am starting to put togather my plan for next year.
ken

abman:
hi all, just how many of you out there have experienced the wonders of diving the

channel islands. i've done all my diving in the islands aboard the truth aquatics boats.

what other boats have you been on and how was your experiences? i've got 1 more lobster trip scheuled this year and am starting to put togather my plan for next year.
ken

The only boat i've been on in the channel islands, was the Island Time out of alamitos bay in long beach. It was a two tank charter to catalina. They have a pretty good operation and its only about an hour to catalina. Good sites and they provide various snacks on board.

I have used the Explorer out of Ventura Harbor many times and really enjoy them. I highly recommend them.

Truth Aquatics was fine when we dove off the conception with Jerry as the captain. Our experience off the Vision was horrible and we won't dive with that boat again.

been on the vision and on the conception, catalina is the only island i;ve left to dive off. going to the cortez banks in october for lobster on the vision..

channel islands rock, was at san clemente 2 weeks ago for 3 days...warmer water than where i normally dive, thats for sure

Al Mialkovsky:
Truth Aquatics was fine when we dove off the conception with Jerry as the captain. Our experience off the Vision was horrible and we won't dive with that boat again.
HI al! wow! i've dove off of all three of truths boats and never had any problems at all. the times that i have dove off of the vision, tommy was the captain.. he seemed to be very knowledgeable,very friendly and really seemed to be atuned to the divers on the boat. the last time i dove the vision was last year in october on a lobster trip. it was in the northern channels. we hammered the bugz, and had a great time. i'm going on another bug trip in oct. this year, again on the vision, and am looking forward to it. i'm sorry that you didn't have a good experience on the vision on your trip, it seems out of character for any of T.A. trips...... but anything can happen. ken

Highly recommend Cal Boat Diving which is www.calboatdiving.com

I used the spectra out of Ventura Harbor. Great deal for 100 bucks, four dives and food not to mention you can sleep on the boat the night before for free. Yes I said free, that was the best part for us because we had already paid for dives, car rental and flights.

abman:
HI al! wow! i've dove off of all three of truths boats and never had any problems at all. the times that i have dove off of the vision, tommy was the captain.. he seemed to be very knowledgeable,very friendly and really seemed to be atuned to the divers on the boat. the last time i dove the vision was last year in october on a lobster trip. it was in the northern channels. we hammered the bugz, and had a great time. i'm going on another bug trip in oct. this year, again on the vision, and am looking forward to it. i'm sorry that you didn't have a good experience on the vision on your trip, it seems out of character for any of T.A. trips...... but anything can happen. ken
We weren't too happy with Tommy or his crew. They got drunk, spent time jumping off the back of the boat naked and had language going that didn't needed to be going with a couple of 10 year olds on the boat plus a couple of teen girls. We won't go with them again. I know they don't care because they're so busy but if we don't get Jerry our shop will charter with another company. They cost me at least 5 dives from the previous year, not a single dive before 9:30. They were more about getting off the boat at Avalon than taking us diving.

Al Mialkovsky:

Out of curiosity what was your bad experience on the Vision. PM me if you prefer not to post it here. TIA.

I've been to all but San Nicolas and Santa Barbara. Between 1,000-2,000 dives on Catalina of course!

I've used the Truth Aquatics boats (all three), the Peace out of Ventura, the Scuba Cat out of Catalina (for San Clemente). Been happy with every trip I've made. Currently I'm diving a lot on Scuba Luv's King Neptune to various sites on Catalina... a real treat thanks to the generosity of Bob & Tina Kennedy. In exchange I provide them with video and other assistance.

Dr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom