Channel Islands diving questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgangi

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I will be in Ventura for a family reunion the week of June 19-26. Since we will most likely be "familied out" by Tuesday, we are planning on bringing our dive gear with us so we can spend some quality time together underwater.

We've been told that the Channel Islands are a must dive. Are there any particular spots we should see? Is a 2- or 3-day liveaboard a good option? Or should we just do day trips? Can anybody recommend a reputable dive operation to work with?

Since the diving we typically do is 80+ water in the Carribbean, I think we will need more protection than our 3 mil wetsuits (wife dives with a shorty). What suit is recommended? 7 mil? 5 mil? Hood? Do we need thicker gloves and boots?

Thx...Doug

dgangi:
My wife and I will be in Ventura for a family reunion the week of June 19-26. Since we will most likely be "familied out" by Tuesday, we are planning on bringing our dive gear with us so we can spend some quality time together underwater.

We've been told that the Channel Islands are a must dive. Are there any particular spots we should see? Is a 2- or 3-day liveaboard a good option? Or should we just do day trips? Can anybody recommend a reputable dive operation to work with?

Since the diving we typically do is 80+ water in the Carribbean, I think we will need more protection than our 3 mil wetsuits (wife dives with a shorty). What suit is recommended? 7 mil? 5 mil? Hood? Do we need thicker gloves and boots?

Thx...Doug

Lots of great operators out of the Ventura / SB area.

Lately, I'm all over the Peace. I wasn't always a fan, but the more I dive with them, the more I appreciate them. www.peacedive.com

Others will chime in with great dive ops. What the Peace lacks in room (its not a big boat) it makes up for with a membrane Nitrox system, the ability to pump up to 3500+, a seasoned crew that knows their business, and generally experienced divers on the boat (read: not a lot of students = upgraded dive sites.)

Like I said, I'm growing to like them. A lot. Dived with them 5 times this year, and will be back this weekend again.

---
Ken

dgangi:

Thx...Doug

Can't go wrong with the Peace boats and heck ya, if you can get away for a few days....DO IT!!! You won't be sorry.

Repeat after me....I will dive a 7mm wetsuit, I will wear a hood. I will strip off the cold neoprene between dives, I will warm up and drink lots of water. Your boots and gloves, I assume reef gloves and 3mm boots will work but your hands MAY get cold. Remember, more dives=more heat loss.

Have a great trip. Wish I could join you.

Terry

i like truth aquatics, but it's the only one i've been on, love the liveaboards, have 2 more booked this year,..cannont wai..nothing but dive dive dive..

The Peace out of Ventura or Truth Aquatics out of Santa Barbara for multi-day trips are always good bets for the Channel Islands IMHO.

I dove with the Explorer off of Santa Cruz Island last weekend and the water temp was 53 at depth. Wear thicker gloves and boots. You can rent them, if you dont want to buy. And yes, warm up between dives. I was wearing my Diving Concepts drysuit and was quite warm. Have fun.

If you can get away for / afford a 2 or 3 day trip, definitely check out what Truth Aquatics has open during that time. They have 3 boats in their fleet, and make a great get-away. MY dive club does a 3-day trip with them every August, and it's exceptional. The food is good, the boat is roomy (compared to other So CAl dive boats, anyway), and the diving is great! Last year, we spent an entire day in a cove snorkeling and diving with some baby harbor seals - very inquisitive ones. They were so playful - even when we snorkeled with them, they would "cuddle" up to us and let us pet them. Actually, they bumped their heads against our hands (like a dog does), forcing us to pet them. The year before, we spent about 2 hours with a herd of blue whales passing by. They really do a great trip!

mossym:
i like truth aquatics, but it's the only one i've been on, love the liveaboards, have 2 more booked this year,..cannont wai..nothing but dive dive dive..
We dive truth aquatics twice a year. We've been very happy with them.

Our experience was the Encore wasn't a happy time. Won't go back with them. I think they should stick to fishing trips.

I dive with the Spectre out of Ventura Harbour. They mainly do day trips, 3 tank dives during the week. Great food and crew. You can order gear and have it waiting for you on-board, then just leave it, and the dive shop comes and gets it. While you can sleep over night, it's not a hotel, they have bunks. They have hot showers and a hot tub to warm up after diving. Good food too. http://calboatdiving.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom