Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simcoediver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are a couple of Canadian wreck divers and are planning a stopover in South Carolina Myrtle beach area or anywhere else along the coast to do some diving of the famous offshore wrecks. Can anyone familiar with this area recommend a good dive outfit that operates charters thru Dec and January? Also I assume we should bring our drysuits as I am not sure if the Gulf stream is too far out or in close? Any reccomendations and info would be great! Thanks!

I like Express Watersports in Murrells Inlet.
****Well, I am not allowed to post links so google express watersports****

As far as the drysuits, well, you great lake guys will have to decide that. Looks like average surface water temps are around 64 degrees.
******Once again, no links, google for wunderground bouy water temp****

I hope you guys have a great time. Be safe.

Another interesting site for SC Coast wreck diving:
***** No links allowed by me, google SC Coast wrecks****

Gene

Also another stop in-between those 2 is Wilmington NC, best op is Aquatic Safaris, North Carolina Wreck Diving we have a trip scheduled for Jan 03,2009.
We are planned on 2 very good sites, the Normannia & the Cassimir.
As far as thermal protection, you could get away wet, as we expect water temps to be mid 60s, but the air temps that time of year could easily be in the low 50s & maybe even lower. So the SI would be the time the drysuit pays off.
I have never dove in SC, but have heard some good things from other divers, Morehead City is also very good, this is from personal experience.

The dive operations (dive stores) can tell you the current water temperature at the sites. You can also use NOAA. NOAA has links to offshore buoys that can tell you the temperature of the ocean. Divers use dry suits this time of year here in SC. Some do not use drysuits and just layer up and pour hot water into the suit before the dive. Check out this page for a list of links to SC dive operations:

Charleston SC Scuba Club

If you stop in Myrtle Beach then you should use Express Water Sports. They run a good operation. Any wreck in the 30 to 40 mile range will be in the 60s on the bottom, most of the time in the low 60s but on some good days it might get as high as 70. Any wreck inshore of that will be in the mid to low 50s during those months.

Good luck, that is the best time to dive off our coast and not many people get out that time of year.

Back
Top Bottom