CHDK for the S90?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skynscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is anyone using CHDK for the S90? I haven't used it for any camera, and only slightly understand what it can do.

From what I read, the S90 version allows:

Superfine jpeg mode, which does look better than the S90's default fine mode (compression quality goes from 88 to 95, whatever that means).

Ability to redefine auto ISO limits and minimum shutter speeds

Ability to trigger on motion (classical examples are hummingbird at feeder, lightning)

Raw in scenes and auto

Most people are shooting in manual or shutter priority, using raw, so none of the above would be of much value.

Compression is how much each jpeg is "compressed" into a smaller size. You loose more and more as the compression goes higher. So going from 88% to 95% means you have more information saved. Nice feature if one did not have raw.

Is anyone using CHDK for the S90? I haven't used it for any camera, and only slightly understand what it can do.

From what I read, the S90 version allows:

Superfine jpeg mode, which does look better than the S90's default fine mode (compression quality goes from 88 to 95, whatever that means).

Ability to redefine auto ISO limits and minimum shutter speeds

Ability to trigger on motion (classical examples are hummingbird at feeder, lightning)

Raw in scenes and auto

CHDK makes sense for cameras that don't have all the capabilities of the S90. But the S90 can store RAW, it has full manual control, there is not much missing. Why bother? You have to carefully format a disk, make it bootable with the special software, then you get a bunch of features that are already mostly there in the standard S90.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom