Cheap and pretty diving locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pitchblack70

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all...! Very recently became certified OW, and am finishing up my advanced Open Water on October 4! Already love the sport (and will probably be dragging my husband into it soon.) I'm from the Bronx, NY...and have therefore been diving in Long Island. It's green, and murky and limited in wildlife. What I'd like to do, once I get my AOW is experience the pretty side of diving...with a focus on colors, and lots of critters (the bigger the better, and dolphins would be a really nice plus.)

Thing is, we're on a tight budget. Would love to do something like Bonaire, but really need something cheaper, yet satisfying. So far, I'm reading that maybe Puerto Rico, the Keys or Cozumel would be good options.

Would really love anyone else's opinions on the best places to go, given the funds available...(Both for the actual diving and non-scuba enjoyments in between dives.)

Thanks!

I don't know what your cost would be to get from NY to Coz or Puetro Rico, but I would suggest that you check and see if you can get good rates from NY to either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and check out the Florida Keys.....particularly Key Largo & Islamorada. I think you will find the reef and fish life and visability to your liking. If you would like to PM me I'll be happy to refer you to a number of our favorite sites and some good operators and reasonable places to stay.

Agreeing with Cajuncru, this is the time in your diving to get as many logged dives as you can - and if you want warmer, clearer water, by all means, it would hard to beat a Keys trip.

Many new divers begin their first dozen "off on their own" dives in search of various holy grails. Don't do it. The "Dolphins" will appear in due time, concentrate on learning to dive and become relaxed. You're basically going to be diving in a large salty pool for the first 50 dives~ you won't be seeing as much as you are looking at.

As you start to relax, you'll begin to see things, some not even as large as Flipper!

Pick an easy, warm and clear, comfortable place. Compare total prices including diving, food, accommodations and airfare (transport). Sometimes Cancun might be cheaper than the Keys.

Cozumel Cozumel Cozumel. Did I mention Cozumel? Inexpensive packages that are a one-stop flight out of NYC. Some of the best diving in the Caribbean. Its a no-brainer

since you are beginners, the florida Keys is a good option. Most of the dive sites are shallow and there is good fishlife. There isn't much to do in the Keys though, it is pretty quiet. Best way to do it is fly into Ft Lauderdale or Miami and rent car and drive down to Key Largo. Lots of dive op choices there, here are just a few.
Check out:
Florida Keys Scuba Diving with It’s A Dive; Florida Keys scuba diving reefs from Key Largo's Pennekamp Park to Islamorada’s Alligator Light.
Amoray Home Page
Scuba Diving Key Largo Florida scuba Diving Upper Keys Snorkeling
Key Largo Diving, SEA DWELLERS DIVE CENTER, Florida Keys PADI scuba resort facility - diver training and hotel packages - Welcome

yeah, Cozumel is cheap and many people love it. Its not our favorite anymore. for us it is too crowded and too many non-diving partiers. There are great deals on rooms and diving if you only want to do 2 dives per day then hang out by pool or shop.
check out: Cozumel vacation, Mexico resort hotel rates - Bay Adventures
Cozumel Scuba Diving at Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop
Cozumel Mexico Scuba Diving Vacations Cozumel Scuba Travel Adventures

We were just at Roatan last year and a couple we dove with all week were from NY (actually Jersey, :wink:) and they got a great deal on roundtrip airfare, I think they told us $550pp which was cheaper than we paid! I would look into Roatan, either Fantasy Island or CocoView Resort... lots of easy diving, all-inclusive resorts with boat diving and shore diving, other activities, etc. It is a good destination for both beginners and advanced divers.
for Fantasy Island: Rotan Honduras diving vacation rates and trip quote - Bay Adventures
for Cocoview: Welcome to CoCo View Resort or Roatan and Utila Scuba Diving Vacations Bay Islands Scuba Travel Adventures

If you want easiest diving, go to the Keys. If you want some diving and lots of partying go to Cozumel, if you want the most exotic with better diving than the other two go to Roatan.

robin:D

Pitchblack 70:
Robint is right on espcially with regard to Roatan and considering that your husband may not be a diver and need other things to do. I was kinda thinking when you used the term "cheap" that cost might be a primary factor .....Key Largo was a prime choice because of the > $160.00 pp roundrip fares that you can get on Jet Blue........but if your budget can handle the added airfare do consider Roatan.

Thing is, we're on a tight budget.

I think we can all relate to that! Value for the dollar is critical in this day and age!

We were just at Roatan last year and a couple we dove with all week were from NY (actually Jersey, :wink:) and they got a great deal on roundtrip airfare, I think they told us $550pp which was cheaper than we paid! I would look into Roatan, either Fantasy Island or CocoView Resort... lots of easy diving, all-inclusive resorts with boat diving and shore diving, other activities, etc. It is a good destination for both beginners and advanced divers.
for Fantasy Island: Rotan Honduras diving vacation rates and trip quote - Bay Adventures
for Cocoview: Welcome to CoCo View Resort or Roatan and Utila Scuba Diving Vacations Bay Islands Scuba Travel Adventures

If you want easiest diving, go to the Keys. If you want some diving and lots of partying go to Cozumel, if you want the most exotic with better diving than the other two go to Roatan.

Robin brings out some good points. Fantasy Island and CocoView are side by side on the south side of the island and provide spectacular diving opportunities, both boat diving and shore diving. (Even good snorkelling is an option here!)

Roatan is a great value right now...spectacular deals are being offered. I am not sure about the price at CCV, but since we'll be there in three weeks, I do know that Fantasy Island is currently offering a 2 for 1 special that includes all lodging, food, drinks, (yes, even alcoholic drinks!) diving, etc...almost too good to pass up - guess that's why we're going again :)

Yeah but whats the airfare to get there?

Yeah but whats the airfare to get there?

well, if you read my post, you'll see that some divers I met there paid $550pp. That isn't bad for any dive trip, and well worth it. I never said airfare was as cheap as Cozumel, but I think the overall diving and topside experience is much better at Roatan.

I just checked Expedia... Feb 6-13th, just a ramdom date, NYC to Roatan
$633pp on Continental, one stop in Houston/$636 on Delta, one stop in Atlanta
same date going to Coz: $372pp

with the unlimited diving at CCV or FI, and all meals included, I think the trips would be about the same price.

just my 2psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom