cheap chinese video light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the problem with the switches something we can rectify, DIY style? I think there was talk somewhere earlier in this thread about swapping the switches for different ones and using potting compound to seal the hole
That was Addison lol, he used JB weld. Wonder how it held up, hope for an update! I just got one of these lights and I'm also trying to think of a better switch design. Also planning on replacing the driver with one thats constant current.

That was Addison lol, he used JB weld. Wonder how it held up, hope for an update! I just got one of these lights and I'm also trying to think of a better switch design. Also planning on replacing the driver with one thats constant current.
Yeah I just read back through the thread and found it. I wonder if anyone could check the new XHP90 I listed earlier to see if the switch thread is 16mm, meaning we could fit the piezo switch

Yeah I just read back through the thread and found it. I wonder if anyone could check the new XHP90 I listed earlier to see if the switch thread is 16mm, meaning we could fit the piezo switch
It "should" be the same threads as the one Addison used. I'm 99% certain. All these lights use same switch.

About the LED's, they are all knockoff's. Cree doesn't make a XHP-90 and the 10-XM-L2's in mine arent genuine. That being said they still might ok quality, I haven't done testing yet.

I wish I could buy one of these lights without the threaded hole and the switch. Measure the thread diameter and pitch of the piezo switch, then drill and tap it myself. But that will never happen because how these lights are mass produced. There's a bunch of smart people on this forum, hopefully someone can think of a *simpler* solution!

I recommend LetonPower on Aliexpress. They have the XHP90 version. They answered all my questions super fast. I also had a light that came with small cosmetic damage and they sent me a new one free, didnt even pay shipping.

It "should" be the same threads as the one Addison used. I'm 99% certain. All these lights use same switch.

About the LED's, they are all knockoff's. Cree doesn't make a XHP-90 and the 10-XM-L2's in mine arent genuine. That being said they still might ok quality, I haven't done testing yet.

I wish I could buy one of these lights without the threaded hole and the switch. Measure the thread diameter and pitch of the piezo switch, then drill and tap it myself. But that will never happen because how these lights are mass produced. There's a bunch of smart people on this forum, hopefully someone can think of a *simpler* solution!
You could always weld the original hole over and drill a new one next to it?

Also, re the non-genuine Leds, I would if we could just re-solder genuine ones to the board

You could always weld the original hole over and drill a new one next to it?

Also, re the non-genuine Leds, I would if we could just re-solder genuine ones to the board
I asked a person about that on a flashlight forum about that. It would need to have the XML footprint, without taking it apart not sure if it does. I'm also not sure it's worth the added effort and cost. In my opinion, as long as the knockoffs are reliable I think they replicate the Cree well enough.

What I really want is a constant brightness driver. There are AMC7135 constant current drivers that can deliver 12 amps. Two XHP50's on two copper MCPCB's running at 3V 6 Amps each would produce 4500+ lumens. Driver costs $15, LED's about $5 each. But it's not worth it if the switch doesn't hold up.

I tried to buy 2 more of a different and more powerful model, but that seller tried to scam me, and sent me 2 QH18 of a newer design, with a shorter battery compartment. Long story short, I got to keep those 2 for free!
They didnt scam you, you're supposed to use button top 18650's with these lights. They are longer than the flat tops you're using. All the big shops mention this in the product description, sometimes they call them pointed batteries.

Link to the pics and my setup with the new switches. I've had no problem with the switches or JBWeld solution, but my second batch of lights were definitely bad. The original I bought still works flawlessly to this day, with the modded JBWeld switch. I'm no circuit analyst but I think there's some funky stuff going on with the other batch of 2 I got (from a different supplier), and they were all duds in some way or another. So obviously your mileage may vary.
The good one I still have (ordered in May '20)

I'm no circuit analyst but I think there's some funky stuff going on with the other batch of 2 I got (from a different supplier), and they were all duds in some way or another.
Dang, did you dispute and get your money back?

Those piezo switches are awesome. I dont trust the ones on Aliexpress but onpow's are rated IP69K. I'll measure the threads and see if I can find one that matches.

EDIT: Need to buy a better pair of tweezers to get the switch off lol. So at the moment unable to measure the threads. Hopefully it's a common metric size 🙏, maybe something like this could work. The o ring could be changed to the right size.

Attachments

• Switch.png
    Switch.png
    164 KB · Views: 66
There are spare parts for original Nemo light and I believe the buttons are interchangeable. You can order buttons separately for 12 EUR here .
View attachment 637305

This video explains how you can replace buttons on Nemo dive lights:
Video

Did you, or anybody else try out these ones to se if they could work as a replacment?

Did you, or anybody else try out these ones to se if they could work as a replacment?
Yeah, I gave em a try. Threads fit, but the head/o-ring were big in a way where it simply could not fully press into a single flat surface on my particular lights. Otherwise they seemed of higher quality than the stock ones, but still the same design. For that reason I am a strong believer in "welding" in a piezo switch rather than trust that for life. The welded in piezo switch is a permanent fix. It's hard for me to imagine it failing. The design is just so overkill for 300ft of pressure, which translates to a measly 150psi. Most of the metrics used for JBWeld are in the thousands of psi. Same with the piezo switch which is rated for freakin pressure washing environments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom