cheap chinese video light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I gave em a try. Threads fit, but the head/o-ring were big in a way where it simply could not fully press into a single flat surface on my particular lights. Otherwise they seemed of higher quality than the stock ones, but still the same design. For that reason I am a strong believer in "welding" in a piezo switch rather than trust that for life. The welded in piezo switch is a permanent fix. It's hard for me to imagine it failing. The design is just so overkill for 300ft of pressure, which translates to a measly 150psi. Most of the metrics used for JBWeld are in the thousands of psi. Same with the piezo switch which is rated for freakin pressure washing environments.
Ok, so not possible to get them working then. That's a shame. Oh well :)

I cannot measure the lumens, but it is definitely very bright wide angel beam and excellent for photos in the cenotes without strobes. I bought the bundle from the seller with those green 18600 batteries.
Could you confirm which type of batteries the seller provided?

i.e 18650, flat top or button top. 3000 mah etc.

The length of the battery would be interesting also. Some are around 65mm whilst others are about 69 it seems.

i.e 18650, flat top or button top. 3000 mah etc.

The length of the battery would be interesting also. Some are around 65mm whilst others are about 69 it seems.
I am away in the red sea right now. I'd suggest you reach out and ask the seller. what they send you probably depends on the batch they get. it was button top 3000 mah as far as i recall.

Whoever is looking at cheap chinese flashlights, know that batteries are not where you should ever skimp. Never buy the provided batteries/chargers, they are the bottom of the bottom of the barrel! Strongly suggest these instead, which are top-rate batteries, better than you'd get in most brand-name US products (I've bought probably around 40 of them over the course of several years, given/sold them away, all very good):
:soapbox:

Whoever is looking at cheap chinese flashlights, know that batteries are not where you should ever skimp. Never buy the provided batteries/chargers, they are the bottom of the bottom of the barrel! Strongly suggest these instead, which are top-rate batteries, better than you'd get in most brand-name US products (I've bought probably around 40 of them over the course of several years, given/sold them away, all very good):
:soapbox:
Precisely why I was asking - wanted to double check the battery length, as I know some 18650 are 65mm and others are 69mm.

Unfortunately we don't seem to be able to get hold of Liitokala batteries here in Indonesia, however we do have these available below, I'd be going for the button tops:
1645174148340.png

Or we also seem to have SANYO NCR18650GA 3500mAh available, though I'd have to mess about with magnets on top as they only have flat tops available.

Precisely why I was asking - wanted to double check the battery length, as I know some 18650 are 65mm and others are 69mm.

Unfortunately we don't seem to be able to get hold of Liitokala batteries here in Indonesia, however we do have these available below, I'd be going for the button tops:View attachment 707844

Or we also seem to have SANYO NCR18650GA 3500mAh available, though I'd have to mess about with magnets on top as they only have flat tops available.
My understanding is as long as they have a button top they will work. The light screws on until it makes contact so the batteries don't have to be the exact length. Be careful using unprotected flat tops. If you short them out or over discharge they can go boom and fire. Saw it on youtube, kinda scared me.

Littokala batteries used to be good Chinese batteries but I heard about a massive scam on Aliexpress. A lot of people on flashlight forums warn against ordering them now. I think cause they arent Panasonic cells anymore, could be wrong. Something to look at if you're thinking about ordering.

Littokala batteries used to be good Chinese batteries but I heard about a massive scam on Aliexpress. A lot of people on flashlight forums warn against ordering them now. I think cause they arent Panasonic cells anymore, could be wrong. Something to look at if you're thinking about ordering.
Source? Hard to believe from my personal experience through that page on Aliexpress. I've pumped 3500+ mah into those after a long day of diving.

Some years ago certain specific models of (IIRC) UltraFire batteries became very popular in places like Budget Light Forum for being suprisingly good quality for the money. Well that fun didn't last long, as many vendors on AliExpress started sleeving their recycled laptop cells into UltraFire wrappers.

One way is to find out how heavy the battery is.. gives you an idea if they are fakes.

One way is to find out how heavy the battery is.. gives you an idea if they are fakes.
How would that in any way be true? Weight != quality in batteries. The garbage-tier ones I've seen that come with lights (both foreign unbranded and domestic unbranded) weigh the same, and are probably rejects of rejects found in reject bins at some decent factory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom