cheap chinese video light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found an issue (or two) with using the Piezo switches, or at least with the ones I have available. The pulse width on them only appears to be very short, almost not enough for the torch circuit to detect. I find I have to press mine really hard, sometimes several times for them to generate a pulse that is long enough (in terms of duration) for the torch to detect. I'm not sure if there's a way for me to wire something in series with the two switch wires to mitigate this?

I used these switches: Link

Off the back of the above issue, they don't have the same tactile feel as a mechanical switch. I've been looking around for a mechanical magnetic reed switch, however they don't seem to be readily available in push button form around the size needed for this application, at least not that I can find.
I found these...
and

The latching one the button stays depressed when circuit is complete. Says it needs a 19mm hole though, probably too big.

Off the back of the above issue, they don't have the same tactile feel as a mechanical switch. I've been looking around for a mechanical magnetic reed switch, however they don't seem to be readily available in push button form around the size needed for this application, at least not that I can find.
Actually found another option from that website. This ones says 16mm hole. All of them are rated to IP68 and not IP69k so it still might not work. I'm not sure tbh

Actually found another option from that website. This ones says 16mm hole. All of them are rated to IP68 and not IP69k so it still might not work. I'm not sure tbh
Good find, however the circuit is 5v and that switch is 12v. Any bigger than 16mm and the switches would hit each other when they protrude through the inside of the housing, due to the angles they sit at.

I can find plenty of magnetic switch contacts out there, fabricating the button that moves the magnet seems to be the tricky part. I'd also have to come up with some sort of window (drilling another hole) to show the LED status for the battery, as I don't fancy killing batteries due to the torch not cutting off when the voltage gets too low.

I turned a pro photog friend onto the C15 type "20k lumen models from the BRETT store and he loves them. He's been able to test them with some sort of high-end equipment and found that they register at right about 18k lumens (so slightly lower, but close). Color temps were spot-on as advertised - 6k.
Could you point me in the direction of the 20k lumen lights you are referring to in the BRETT store? I tried searching Aliexpress but no luck so far.... Thanks!

I can't believe how inexpensive the lights are if they truly are 18000 lumens. I am not sure if it was you or someone else but I remember reading that it's not a good idea to buy the batteries from the same Chinese source.

Can you recommend a source for reliable 18650 batteries and chargers?

Heres a test I did of the 10 LED version. Average battery voltage after 120 minutes was 3.17V. I was surprised the light didn't dim as the batteries drained. Battery used was LG MJ1 3500mAh and based on drain time the light uses about 30 watts. Depending on LED efficiency, 4000 lumens give or take.

I can't believe how inexpensive the lights are if they truly are 18000 lumens. I am not sure if it was you or someone else but I remember reading that it's not a good idea to buy the batteries from the same Chinese source.

Can you recommend a source for reliable 18650 batteries and chargers?
They arent as bright as they claim, but still very bright.

If you're in the US heres a couple of batteries I would recommend. Keep in mind theres a global battery shortage, prices are high at the moment.

Very good high discharge battery and the highest capacity money can buy. Made in South Korea. Use code BLFuser for 5% off. Illumn also offers free shipping to lower 48.

A cheaper option: BAK 18650 3050mAh 6.1A - Protected Button Top Battery

Made in China, little less capacity, little less discharge amps. Never used these batteries but I've heard good things.

They arent as bright as they claim, but still very bright.

If you're in the US heres a couple of batteries I would recommend. Keep in mind theres a global battery shortage, prices are high at the moment.

Very good high discharge battery and the highest capacity money can buy. Made in South Korea. Use code BLFuser for 5% off. Illumn also offers free shipping to lower 48.

A cheaper option: BAK 18650 3050mAh 6.1A - Protected Button Top Battery

Made in China, little less capacity, little less discharge amps. Never used these batteries but I've heard good things.
Thanks for the info. I’ve never had lights that use these batteries. Can you recommend a good charger/source? Guessing I want one that can charge 8 or 2 that can charge 4 at a time.

Thanks for the info. I’ve never had lights that use these batteries. Can you recommend a good charger/source? Guessing I want one that can charge 8 or 2 that can charge 4 at a time.
I use the xtar vc8 it’s $28 at illumn. It has extra features that are nice like being able to change charging current and storage charging (you don’t want to store 18650 completely full or empty for long periods). A downside is you need a usb wall adapter to USB that can supply 9V 2A. You can use one that supplies less but charging time will be longer.

If you only want a 4 bay charger there’s tons of options. Too many to list. I would read the reviews and features you want.

Back
Top Bottom