cheap / easy way to plug hole where exhaust valve used to be

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi all
i am looking at a used dry suit. the exhaust valve is on the lower left forearm for some reason. other than that the suit could be just what i need. i am not too happy about the idea of having the exhaust in that position. seems strange to me.
i use "pull on" dry gloves so i would be worried if i extend my arm, it may blow the glove off.
i assume a "blank" could be ordered ?? and installed in its place. then i could just cut a hole where i want it to be and reinstall the valve.
just curious if anyone has a DIY method to accomplish this. i live in a pretty isolated community and getting odd ball parts is a pain. so if there is an easier way to do it i would love t hear about it.
this would be for a trilam suit btw
thx
rick

I know someone who got a used suit with forearm exhaust. She took it to a shop that does a ton of drysuit repairs. They patched the hole and moved exhaust to upper arm. Not sure what shop used to patch it since I didn’t see the suit after it was done

3M 5200 comes in Black or White

I had the great fortune of having Evelyn Dudas as my LDS. She started out making the first drysuits for women in the northeast.

Get a cheap set of pastry cutters, see pic. Rough up the cutting edge so you can rotate it through your drysuit, removing the hole for the vent. Hard part: Find some neoprene that is the same thickness as your suit. Maybe start by calling the manufacturer and asking for an X by X piece for use as a patch. Cut same size plug with your cutter.

Coat inside edge of hole and outside edge of patch with Trident neoprene cement, any LDS will have it. Look carefully at the edge, takes several coats. You are done when the edge looks all filled in and shiny. 10 mins between coats, keep each coat nice and thin, no rush. More than 5 coats, less than 10. Let both dry 15-30 min. The glue only sticks to itself.

Get someone to hold the suit down and ever so slightly stretch the hole while you install the patch. You only get one shot at this. Start with an edge and work it around until the patch is seated. Probably all you need if you did it correctly. Evelyn sewed mine in with a fur machine. Oddest sewing machine I ever saw. Just take the strongest nylon thread that you can find and run loops around the hole, don't pull too tight. Overlap the ends a bit when you finally make it all the way around and she uses a drop or two of permanent Loctite to keep the thread ends from coming undone. Not even a knot...

Coat the inside with AquaSeal and you have a factory fix. No hard lumps to drag arm hardware over and you still have the strength and stretch that an arm needs.

-let us know how it works out if you try it...

DS Repair.jpg

The forearm dump is commonly used by CCR divers. I would agree with those advising a blanking plug.

Oh and @lowviz I feel your pain. However your post is great advice for others finding this thread who may have neoprene DS. You didn’t waste your time I promise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom