Cheap entry level wrist computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest a Oceanic Geo to fit your needs. I have seen to many Zoops with bad depth sensors to want to buy one.

A single button DC will frustrate you after awhile.
Suunto Zoop, or the older Gecko, are very user friendly.
A little less user friendly (until you figure out the menu sequences) are the Oceanic veo/geo 2.0 or 3.0, and the Hollis DG03 (which is a rebadged Oceanic).
All can be had for about 250 bucks or less.

My wife and i both have zoops. They come up for under 200 all the time online. Just picked up a used vytec for 50. Haven't dove with it yet but liked the multigas setup and ability to change algorithms.

I dive Aeris XR-1. It is being replaced by A100. Both very good entry level computers. Large numbers, easy to read, simple to use. And both not very expensive and would easily be under $300.

The Puck and Zoop are the two I usually recommend. Price is right, interface is pretty easy to use, and they simply work.

I have the Leonardo and am very happy with it so far. Great price and super easy to use. I bought the Dive Computer Training course ($5) through the divenav app and strongly recommend doing that for whatever computer you settle on. Great way to see how the computer will look and operate underwater before you are actually underwater with your life depending on it.

I'm also a new diver and have opted to keep a manual dive log for now so haven't purchased the PC link or tried to download the dive log.

I have the Mares Puck. Got it as part of a package deal, and I'm quite pleased with it. I'm just a basic vanilla recreational diver and it provides the functionality I need.

Air and Nitrox... Check.
Download to PC... Check (with extra 90 dollar cable, bummer but typical)
Has ability to make more conservative in the setup... (Check)
Some limited pre-dive planning... Check
Easy to read... BIG CHECK.
Easy to replace battery... Check
Simple to learn to use... Check

I bought it for under $200 and find it easy to use. It has 2 conservative settings and 4 altitude settings from 0 to 12,139 ft. It can be set for metric or imperial. You can set it for salt or fresh water. It has a backlight. It stores about 40 hours of dive data in a log, each dive numbered from 1 (most recent dive) to some higher number for older dives. The log doesn't store dive profiles, i.e. it stores only max depth, total dive time, and lowest temperature. There is other data that gets stored for each dive.

Leisurepro has Suunto's for a very good price. It's because they're not factory authorized so all warranty work would be thru their equivatent warranty.

If you can live with that the Zoop is $225 and the d/l cable is $65. $300 if purchased at an Aqualung/Suunto dealer. Suunto Zoop Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer at LeisurePro

Or the Vyper is $300 - WITH the cable. Suunto Vyper Wrist Computer with USB Cable, Silver at LeisurePro

I'll second that mention for the Suunto Vyper. Been using it for years, and $300 with the USB cable is a good deal. The cable is worth $65.

Some say the Suunto algorithm is a bit conservative, but I've never had a problem with it. Then again, I don't believe in pushing the envelope on how much nitrogen I can consume. You can also increase several settings if you want to be less conservative, although I wouldn't ever do that.

Nice thing about the Vyper, if you accidentally overstay your allotted bottom time, it calculates your deco obligation, guides you on the way up, but doesn't lock you out from doing more diving, assuming of course your profile allows for it. Some computers go into "gauge only" mode and you're done for the day.

I have recently completed a similar search, and I had one additional "soft" preference for one that can be used as a watch. I ended up buying an Aeris Manta. It and the Oceanic Geo are extremely similar. I am very happy with it. The USB connector to download to computers is pricey, and if you are using a Mac you need to jump through a couple of hoops before you can use it, but it works great. I got a fantastic deal at 299 for it. Normally it goes for 399, I got mine cheaper when the store messed up my order and fixed it by giving me the latest model instead of the older, discounted one. I didn't complain :) The older model looks identical, so I don't know what the differences are, and it may be a good option as well.

Back
Top Bottom