• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cheap underwater metal detectors

Discussion in 'Underwater Treasures' started by kelemvor, Aug 7, 2017.

1. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Has anyone ever used one of the super cheap underwater metal detectors that are floating around for sale? If so, did it work at all?

I'm thinking of these, for example:
    Overland Fortune M3 Prices range from $115.00 to $279.00. (Russian)
    Barska BE11924 10-Inch Search Coil Premiere Edition Underwater Metal Detector $255.00 (Unknown)
    MD-7020C $140 (Chinese)

I'm sure none of these are good, but I've never even used a metal detector before. I've got something of a passing interest in checking out my local beaches. My best friend lost a wedding band there. I bet lots of people lose jewelry at the beach.

Is it possible that any of these cheapies might detect gold? I bet I will only use it once or twice ever and so I don't want to spend a bunch of a more expensive unit.

2. northernone

northernone Instructor, Scuba Staff Member

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Borrowing a good one from a friend would be ideal. The cheap ones do work (not specifically your links but my uncle had many over the years), but the results in the hands of the inexperienced are seldom rewarding and quite frustrating.

3. Zerovis

Zerovis PADI Pro

The best low cost , ( they are not cheep ) is the vibratector Treasure Products, Inc | Home of the Vibra-Probe
    however they are only good in the water, being too shore to use on land except as a pinpointer
    as far as reliable goes these are the best.

4. ljpm

ljpm Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    My wife gave me this one for father's day. Scuba Tector – Quest Metal Detectors
    I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I'm planning on taking it on vacation this winter to play with in the surf.
    The reviews on it are pretty good and there are a number of youtube videos using it as well as comparing it to the vibra-tector.
    scubatector1-500x500.jpg

Zerovis likes this.
  5. Zerovis

Zerovis PADI Pro

looked on the site above they seem to have an interesting pinpointer ,