check out dives in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiji

New
Reaction score
I've never been to Cozumel and I'm planning on doing my check-out dives there. I'm going with my boyfriend (who is an intermediate diver with about 100 dives) and we'll be staying 8 days in February.

I'd like to dive the cenotes, along the reefs, be near a beach and close to a dive shop or at the very least a place that has a dock for a dive op to come pick us up at. I know there is some debate about the cenotes being safe enough for rookie divers like myself, but I'd like to not start a big debate about that here. Night life and restaurants would be great too but my main focus is on my check out dives and diving in general. I would also like to fit in visiting the ruins, though I don't know how much that would effect where I stay.

Suggestions as to where to stay, possibly with a dive op pairing? Thanks for the suggestions!

Cenotes and ruins are on the mainland which might stretch your time somewhat given you are only there 8 days. Pretty much any place waterfront can have one or another op pick you up and if you stay in town, there's a good half dozen or more ops that will pick you up there. If you really want night life and restaurants that's where I'd stay...but beaches are hard to come by. Don't go north of town though as that really becomes problematic for pick-up. Just about all ops can arrange for your check-out dives so no worries there...it's a very common practice.

A couple of suggestions: The Palace (next to El Cantil) located in town or Blue Angel Resort (just outside of town). Latter has a great dive op on side; the former: not so much.

Save the cenotes for the next trip. You are going to have SO much to see, just diving in the ocean! It's a long schlep over to the mainland and back, and although a lot of the dive ops will do it, I think you'd have just as much fun, and be able to build your diving skills steadily, if you just stay on the reefs.

Don't feel bad about being stuck on shallow sites, either! One of my very favorite dives from our trip there was Paradiso, which is a shallow reef not far from town. But at night, it's ALIVE with fascinating things -- eels, octopuses, scorpionfish, turtles, and all kinds of other great stuff. You're going to love it!

That is a lot to do in one trip. Our first trip was to the mainland before we were divers and we did so much like it was going to be our last trip ever that I felt like I needed a vacation from our vacation! And again, that was before we dived. Take it easy and enjoy your time in Cozumel knowing the magic of the area will lure you back. But if you insist on doing cenotes, ruins, nightlife and restaurants, you might consider staying on the mainland in the PDC area. Your check-out dives will take a day, another for the ruins and another to dive cenotes leaving a couple days of amazing diving from the mainland.

Blue Angel has everything you need in one place. Nice hotel right on the water, and all rooms have an ocean view. The restaurant has great food, the dive shop is on site, shore diving anytime day or night. See RonG's excellent trip report. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/391992-blue-angel-trip.html He and his wife were there the same time my family was. My son was newly certified/I'm experienced/wife and one kid are non-divers yet we all had a fantastic time.

The staff is fantastic all the way from the desk to the dive masters and boat crew-not to mention the charming owner, Eva who you may see anywhere from reception, the restaurant, and everywhere in between.

http://www.blueangelresort.name/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150809-d1627968-Reviews-or20-Blue_Angel_Resort-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#REVIEWS

I second or third the suggestion for Blue Angel. We've stayed there the last 2 years and love the place, food and of course the DIVING. As for visiting ruins, several good spots on Coz. Rent a car or take a taxi. Stay away from scooters (see numerous reasons why here and on TripAdvisor). Plan your next trip to the mainland for good boat dives and side trips to Cenotes. Dive Adventuras in Puerto Adventuras is a great shop to handle that for you.

Wow thanks a bunch!! This was super helpful. I'm definitely going to look into Blue Angel! We're now thinking of leaving out cenotes and possibly the ruin visits for next time. We do want to do a ton of stuff since Mexico is one of the places I've always wanted to visit, but sounds like it might be too exhausting for a one week trip. We'll continue to research further but thank you guys for your advice, very much appreciated~ =)

Jiji,

It's probably best that you make your cenote visit on a separate trip; but don't give up on a Mayan ruins trip. San Gervasio is on Cozumel and well worth the visit. Maya Sites Travel - About Mayan Ruins in San Gervasio Ruins Cozumel Island

We rented a car for one day to explore the beautiful wild side (eastern shore) and visit the ruins. You could probably volunteer for the "sea turtle release program" in the evening too. See Andrea in reception; it's free but the project depends on contributions (and the project leaders enjoy a cold cerveza when the work is done.) Andrea can also put you in touch with a car rental agency. A good day to plan this would be on your off-gas/gear drying/pout-that my trip is over day.

By the way: Welcome to Scuba Board.

Couv

Don't feel bad about being stuck on shallow sites, either! One of my very favorite dives from our trip there was Paradiso, which is a shallow reef not far from town. But at night, it's ALIVE with fascinating things -- eels, octopuses, scorpionfish, turtles, and all kinds of other great stuff. You're going to love it!

Still one of my favourites too! Traditionally, lots of seahorses, squadrons of squid and every once in a while a brown toadfish! Love me some Paradise. :)

kari

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom