Chesapeake Bay Bridge Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, 5 of us braved the surf and poor visibility at the base of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Dr. Steve, Don Burke, 2 other fellows (sorry, I can't remember your names, you'll need to post for me to place names with the faces), and myself. The surf was up and made entry a little difficult, but not impossible. Don was in the water first, I was right right behind him. The real problem was the viz was non-existant. I could almost read my SPG, but my computer was not readable at all. After a little braile diving in the sand, I decided it was time to go back in. Don was right behind me. The other three went in just after we came out, played blind man's bluff in the sand on the bottom, and came back in. We were there, we had to get wet. :)

Maybe right at high tide, the viz would be a little better. Next time, I'll have to try Hatteras.

Thanks to Dennis, Steve, Al, and Brian for humoring me.

This is probably shocking to some, but a diver with a Halcyon BP and wing dove with a diver with a jacket BC and AIR2 and no one died. :)

It was about 5:30 when we said the heck with it and there was still too much current. The tables had high tide at Sewells Point at 7:00, so we'll need to be a lot closer.

I had a steel 112, which was too much tank for the dive. I'll bring an AL 80 next time. I might bring an AL40 since I don't have a single steel 72.

The wind was pretty much out of the north. I won't try it again unless the wind direction has an "S" in it.

I need a cart to prevent the "pack mule train" we had to deal with.

I need a big tarp as a laydown area.

Back
Top Bottom