Chicago or Milwaukee late July or Early August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mouth Breather

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read the 'where to start' thread and have ideas but am looking for some really specific suggestions. I have never been GL diving but it's been on my list forever. I don't own one but am drysuit trained. My best 'cold water' wetsuit is a 8/7 semidry but I live in South Florida and therefore a cold water (72F is cold) kitty. I'll be staying with my sister in Madison so Chicago or Milwaukee are my choices for airports.

I've done a LOT of wreck diving in Florida. I'd like to see something cool, not a debris field, the older the better. So looking for suggestions of wrecks and ops, and if I'd be able to rent a drysuit. If there is something shallow that's worth seeing maybe I'd consider suffering in my 8/7. Through PADI I'm rescue, through TDI I'm adv nitrox / deco proc.

Thanks!

Shallow: Louisville wreck, southern Lake Michigan. 1857. 60ft

If you can go to 145ft, Thomas Hume. 1890s schooner, 25 miles off Chicago. Gorgeous.

Check out Double Action Dive Charters website.

Prinz Willem out of Milwaukee....there is a long list available.

Need lots of undergarments to go dry.

Thanks Marie and Tater...now must be the time to dive up there as the schedules are packed!! I may skip the drysuit and just go shallow in the semidry for my first trip there.

Thanks Marie and Tater...now must be the time to dive up there as the schedules are packed!! I may skip the drysuit and just go shallow in the semidry for my first trip there.

I dive the wrecks wet. Just do your semidry. You’ll be fine.

Fair warning, because even though I don't really know @Marie13, I like to give her a hard time: Marie is crazy. She goes wet in temps in the 40s. If you find 72 to be cold, you might be looking up her address when you thaw out to go have a little chat with her.

That said, there are a lot of old, well preserved wrecks in the GL and nobody here knows them better than Marie because she researches the hell out of every wreck before she visits. She's posted some cool pics and videos you should look for, too.

If you want warmer water, you’ve picked the better time of year.

I’m going to recommend the Louisville (60ft, 1857) and the Material Service Barge (40ft, sunk in 1936). The MSB has wide open cargo holds you can easily get inside. Lots of light from above. The Louisville is the second wreck in this video I put together from Memorial Day weekend. My avatar pick is me with the Louisville prop.

@kmarks As a former FIB I assume all of you are crazy! I'm sure I'll suffer a little but WTH life is short.

I talked to Joe from Double Action, who scheduled a dive for Friday July 27th. He needs 4 minimum so if you have the time please join me! I chose the Louisville and the Tacoma.

Sorry, no can do. I’m on vacation part of the following week. Getting any more time off right now I’d impossible.

If you want warmer water, you’ve picked the better time of year.

I’m going to recommend the Louisville (60ft, 1857) and the Material Service Barge (40ft, sunk in 1936). The MSB has wide open cargo holds you can easily get inside. Lots of light from above. The Louisville is the second wreck in this video I put together from Memorial Day weekend. My avatar pick is me with the Louisville prop.

I have to agree with Marie here. The Material Service Barge is one of the cooler wrecks. I also really liked the Rotarian, which is in about 90'

I dive the great lakes semi dry with no issues.

3/5mm hooded vest ( so I have a 10mm core ) and then a 7mm semi dry suit. I dive just fine down into the 40's.

Holly Barge is also a pretty neat wreck, which is shallower.

Back
Top Bottom