Chilly diver 5mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freshorangina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am getting ready to head down to Utila and Cayos Cochinos for a 6 week dive research trip. I generally tend to get cold, so I was thinking of bringing both my 2/3mm and my 5mm. Does this seem like a good idea? I am a bit tight on room in my bag since I am bringing all of my own equipment and am now wondering if I really should bring my 5mm. I will be diving 2xday 6 days a week for the first 4 weeks, and 3-5xday 6 days a week for the last two with 1-2 being night dives in the last 2 weeks. Most dives should be between 60-40 feet. Any input on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Carey

I would definitely include the 5 mm. Like you, I tend to get chilled easily. The first few days you may be wondering if packing the 5 mm was overkill, but as the consecutive days of diving add up, your core temp will continue to drop. I would also pack the 2/3 wetsuit. You can layer it with the 5 mm or just use it to get reprieve from putting on a cold, wet wetsuit:cool2:

Reactions: Jax
IMO, a 5mm is overkill for the cayos at this time of year (maybe in January, but not in July). I would go with the 2 / 3 mm and a lycra (for jellyfish) if you choose not to use a wetsuit. I was in Roatan June 25 - July 2 and the water was a balmy 83 degrees in the depths that I dove (down to 100'). The jellies were out in force though.

Hmm, I might just bring both then. My last trip which was to Bonaire a few months ago, by the end of the week I was getting pretty chilled on my second dive with my 2/3 on. I'm thinking I am better off warmer than too cold. I will be wearing my 2/3 minimum. I tend to loose weight when I am doing a lot of diving and I don't have a whole lot of "insulation" on my body, so by the end of my trip I am expecting to have lost up to 20 pounds....

Also I will be doing a lot of photography work the last 2 weeks, so my pace will be much slower.

My oldest daughter always dives a 5 mil even if the water were to be 90 degrees ;-)

She has given away all her 3 mils to nieces!

We just got back from Roatan and although the water was 84 degrees, even our divemaster at Media Luna was wearing a 5mm full wetsuit. I would DIE if I had to wear a 5mm wetsuit :shocked2: It's completely subjective and each person has their own built-in thermostat.

You will be doing LOTS of diving and if you tend to get chilly I think it would be very smart to pack your 5mm suit...it's better than wishing you had it :eyebrow:

Ok, so update! I brought both and never once used my 5mm. :p That being said, I needed the 3/2 wetsuit, and pretty much never dove without it. The one time I didn't have it (it was locked in the bathroom, long story) and had a night dive, I was shivering halfway through the dive. There were some spots in Cayos with pretty massive thermoclines (Pelican Bay) where I could have definitely used the 5mm... but with my integrated weights, I didn't want to bother with changing them each time. (Yeah, I know, I'm lazy)

Carey

Back
Top Bottom