China bans Shark Fin Soup at Banquets/official events

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's often difficult to change things that are ingrained in tradition. The large shark conservation efforts have only been going on for a decade or so, yet shark fin soup has been a tradition in China for hundreds of years. It's great that the conservation efforts are seeing such success in changing tradition in a short amount of time. As well as praising the conservationists, one must also applaud many of the Chinese people for making the choice not to consume shark fin soup and pressuring restaurants (and the government) to stop its sale.

At risk of being lynched, i've actually had shark fin soup (back before I understood it's environmental impact). Most boring soup i've ever had in my life, not sure what the fascination that the Chnese have with it.

Having seen video of a fin-less shark thrashing away underwater, I am over-joyed at any progress in banning this horrific practice. I just pray that we can save the oceans before they are completely destroyed by over fishing and other barbaric practices. I don't hold much hope.

The problem with traditions like this one is that back when they started they didn't have the unsustainable impact that they have today. The human population was a tiny fraction of what it is today, and the ability to "harvest" these animals was a tiny percentage of what it is today. Back then there were no global fleets, little in the way of international trade, and a much smaller demand. Basically, if you couldn't catch the animal yourself, or arrange to have it shipped from someone who could, you didn't eat the stuff.

As for why people eat it ... because it's a statement of wealth and prestige. Shark fins add nothing to the flavor of the soup ... that comes from other ingredients. Shark fins only supply the texture. But because back when it started, only wealthy people could afford the fins and a chef with sufficient skill to prepare it properly, it became a status symbol. That's all it is today ... which is why it's so difficult to get people to stop using it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I applaud ANY effort by rthe Chinese government to reduce consumption of shark fin soup. I'm ho;eful this official position will filter "down" to the people.

If they are looking for a status symbol meal, they ought to try my Thai green curry. Few have survived it!

..... yet shark fin soup has been a tradition in China for hundreds of years......
In certain southern province only and then only the rich could afford it back in those days. The rest of the country wouldn't pay much notice to it unless last 10-20 yrs when money was no more an issue.

I applaud ANY effort by rthe Chinese government to reduce consumption of shark fin soup. I'm ho;eful this official position will filter "down" to the people.

There is a public service spot that has been running occasionally on Chinese TV for the last year or so. Yao Ming (retired NBA player who has returned home) is shown pushing away a bowl of soup and other restaurant guests do the same. Hard to guage how effective such efforts are. I do think there has been some lessening of demand for fins in recent years, but obviously it is still profitable enough that the slaughter continues in Indonesia.

Woohoo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom