Chincoteague Island, VA diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Local newspaper had an article about subway cars being dumped off Chincoteague. I have been told there are army tanks and what not out there also. The sites are there now to find a boat ride out.

Am in the process of doing some research on this subject. I have found the news article that was mentioned earlier, dated 27 June 2008.

New York subway cars get new home in the ocean | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

If the link does not work, go to the HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com and search the words Chincoteague subway cars, it will lead you to the articles.

The subway cars recently got sunk about 6 miles off the coast. I have not found the exact location or depth yet. I have some work to do. Will keep you posted.

Edit: Just found site listing all artificial reefs in area of Chincoteague.
http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/reef_map/reef_map.shtm
I am not sure exactly which one of those reefs is the ones with the subway cars but there seems to be some pretty interesting items dropped into the water such as tanks and amored personnell carriers.

Being as how as I am a new diver, I dont have a lot of pull for boats and such, I am just really good at research. Someone else may have to take over from here I think.

Hope I have helped some

Last edited:
For those local to hampton roads, there is an article in today's "Daily Press" about the NYC subway cars, page C6, bottom left, under the title "Here, fishy, fishy"

I found the link to the actual site where the subway cars and some APC's were dumped for the artificial reef program.

Virginia Saltwater Recreational Fishing Development Fund (VSRFDF)

This reef is located 5.8 nautical miles SE of Assateague Beach. The site is a 1300 yd. by 1600 yd. parallelogram with the perimeter defined by loran lines.
The coordinates are at the site above both in line map as well as a nautical chart I think.

Steve,
I live on Chincoteague in the summer. Last year there were 2 boats that I know of that left out of here. One has since shut down and the other handles a specific dive club as I understand it. The dive club boat is the Regina. The one that shut down is the "Go For It". It also handled charters for a specific club that I joined. I also used to dive out of Indian River, DE on the Surface Interval but that operation has also shut down.
I now dive out of Ocean City, MD (45 miles north) on the OC Diver. It is an excellent, well run dive operation.
There are 2 other boats up in Indian River, DE. One is the Miss Ene III and the other is Mr Ike. That is a long ride-about 60 plus miles. If you find any other operations or get on the Regina please let me know. Rick

Not sure if this is the same artificial reef as you are talking about, but I dove on some NYC subway cars that were dropped on May 16, 2008 (Government Innovators Network: Article: Maryland artificial reef initiative creates new reef off Ocean City coast with retired New York City subway cars) The cars were dropped on the Jackspot in 90 feet of water. Since they had only been down a few hours before we got there visibility was nil and I couldn't see anything.

Am in the process of doing some research on this subject. I have found the news article that was mentioned earlier, dated 27 June 2008.

New York subway cars get new home in the ocean | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

If the link does not work, go to the HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com and search the words Chincoteague subway cars, it will lead you to the articles.

The subway cars recently got sunk about 6 miles off the coast. I have not found the exact location or depth yet. I have some work to do. Will keep you posted.

Edit: Just found site listing all artificial reefs in area of Chincoteague.
VMRC Artificial Reefs
I am not sure exactly which one of those reefs is the ones with the subway cars but there seems to be some pretty interesting items dropped into the water such as tanks and amored personnell carriers.

Being as how as I am a new diver, I dont have a lot of pull for boats and such, I am just really good at research. Someone else may have to take over from here I think.

Hope I have helped some

I don't have the numbers for the subway cars but call the Virginia Marine Resources and they'll give them to you. 757-247-2263.

Try something a little more historic.

Bone - 37 45 .762 - 75 11 .825 Loran 27053.2 41923.2

Monroe -37 35 .78 -75 14 .72 -Loran 27049.1 41805.7

Oil Wreck - 37 29 .118 - 75 17 .144 Loran 27048.3 41727.2

Stones -37 45 .92 - 75 14 .74 27070.7 41922.7

Hermod 37 51 .698 - 75 01 .532 37 51 .862 75 02 .901

Atwater 37 56 .868 75 05 .751 27047.6 42059.3

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom