Chinese bulk carrier runs aground on GBR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah it is, I guess if the direction of motion was anything other than along a direct line along the bow to stern it would leave a path as wide as its length. They're quite concerned about the antifoul from what I've read

Yeah I was wondering about that before.. dispersants and stuff .. chemicals can't be good.. but perhaps a lesser evil *sigh*

Yeah I was wondering about that before.. dispersants and stuff .. chemicals can't be good.. but perhaps a lesser evil *sigh*

I think the antifoul is actually a coating on the ships hull specifically designed to kill marine organisms, and it's rubbed off all over the reef. So it'll make recovery much slower since even the basic algae which normally establishes pretty quickly and allows larger organisms to get a foothold wont be able to colonise.

OH.. wow that is bad news .. so much to learn :shakehead:

antifoul paint is ugly stuff. Most all are Cupric oxide based, and are designed to leach toxic antifouling metal compounds at a measured rate for an extended period of time as the surface is continually renewed through ablation.

To put it in perspective, them pretty Artificial reefs we like to grow and go diving on sometimes?? They don't have bottom paint. Freighters who are dry-docked only every 2+ years have shed loads of this paint applied to the hull to keep that pretty reef from growing on THEIR hull and costing that much more in fuel. They apply many coats in order that this paint which ablates (sloughs off) continually will last the entire maintenance interval...

now grind this all off and dump this reef-icide dust all over the sea bed and you can see why such an issue is being made, why they are saying coral is already dying.

Wow, copper - nasty. I keep freshwater tropical fish and copper is used as a anti-parisite medication and also most snail killing products contain it. It's extremely toxic and in anything but the lowest dose kills pretty much anything in the aquarium.

Ship tracking to be extended in Barrier Reef - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Ship tracking to be extended in Barrier Reef

The Federal Government is extending the zone for radio and satellite tracking of ships in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.

Federal Transport Minister Anthony Albanese says the zone will be extended from around Mackay down to Bundaberg.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority recommendation will also require the agreement of the International Maritime Authority.

Maritime authorities says the zone was already being reviewed when a ship ran aground on the Great Barrier Reef.

The Shen Neng 1 hit Douglas Shoal east of Rockhampton just over a fortnight ago.

Australian Federal Police have arrested two men in connection with the grounding of the Shen Neng 1.

The master of the vessel, a 47-year-old Chinese man, has been charged with liability for a vessel causing damage in a marine park.

The maximum penalty for the charge is a $55,000 fine.

Another Chinese man, aged 44, has been charged with being the person in charge of a vessel within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, causing damage to the marine park.

The maximum penalty for that offence is three years' jail and/or a $220,000 fine.

Has anybody heard any more information on this?

Back
Top Bottom