Chinese compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viperdriver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here, and this is my first post, and question. Have any of you used or purchased one of the compressors "Made in China" ? I am located in Greece, and the Med is right outside my front door. However, due to the economic crisis here in Greece, many of the dive shops have shut down, and you can't get air.

So I'm fed up dealing with that, and am looking to purchase my own tank compressor. They make them in China that are self lubricating which should cut down on any chance of hydrocarbon contamination. They have certifications, as well as the proper filtering systems.

I'm pretty familiar with compressors, and there really isn't a lot to them. However, I just wondered if anyone had any experience with the Chinese manufactured compressors. Thanks.

Bauer is the name in compressors. Parts are available and not that hard to work on if you ever need to.

Buying a Bauer compared to a chinese copy is like trying to decide whether to breath pure clean air or oil filled contaminated air. I prefer the clean air thank you.

Very very happy with my Bauer and would recommend them based on my use of it.

As for the chinese ripoff copies, nuff said!

Peter you are correct about bauer but wrong reason. Any compressor that uses synthetic oil, has stage drains and a filter will put out good air. But the bauers will outlast any of the knockoffs. Plus I have heard parts are like hens teeth to get.

Peter you are correct about bauer but wrong reason. Any compressor that uses synthetic oil, has stage drains and a filter will put out good air. But the bauers will outlast any of the knockoffs. Plus I have heard parts are like hens teeth to get.

My chinese compressor had stage drains and was supposedly supplied with synthetic oil and DID NOT put out good air.

The Bauer is well built and well designed. The filter contains sufficient volume for a significant number of fills and has a pressure maintaining valve to ensure a reasonable filter life.

The chinese specials look cheap and are badly built and designed. Clearly bad copies of other manufacturers. Mine had a tiny amount of filter material, poor design, no PMV etc etc and that's why it was poor. You can put synthetic oil into any compressor but that doesn't make them good.

I am clearly missing the point you are trying to make.

I own 4 bauer compressors and would have nothing but a bauer. I guess my statement came off wrong. But with synthetic oil and a filter what contaminants could you get.

I own 4 bauer compressors and would have nothing but a bauer. I guess my statement came off wrong. But with synthetic oil and a filter what contaminants could you get.

If all is working well, you should get nothing through. However consider this, no pressure maintaining valve (PMV) means the air velocities are such that a normal healthy filter is trashed within 5-10 min in particular when filling a very empty cylinder. Thus you get water and oil (all be it synthetic) into the cylinder. Neither which is good to breath. that the oil is synthetic still doesn't make it OK to have significant amounts in the cylinder. The reason for using synthetic is that its flash point is higher, operating temperature range higher, less carbon thus less contamination, longer run times, lower risk when mixing gases etc etc. However the oil is still bad to allow into cylinders regardless of its composition. Along with this the assumption is that the filter is of a good design and reasonable size such that it can fill quite a number of cylinders before requiring replacement.

In the instance of my chinese special, I had the combination of no PMV and a filter tube about 19 mm diameter and perhaps 120 mm in length. The volume of filter material was small (by comparison to a P21 or 0520 cartridge) thus had it fitted into the filter body correctly (which it did not) and if the compressor was fitted with a PMV (which it wasn't) I suspect maybe 5-7 tanks and it would require a filter refill. Not a long time at all.

Given however that the filter tube did not seal in the filter body correctly the air was bypassing the filter material, with no PMV this added to trashing the filter material anyway, and with so little filter material was a joke as well. The effect of using it on my first 8 tanks was to contaminate all 8 tanks to the point that the steel tanks (all brand new) began to rust inside and had a coating of oil inside tank and valves. All the aluminium tanks had water and oil contamination. Remember this is the "first" 8 tanks.

By comparison, my bauer filled about 15 or so tanks ( I think about 37,000 litres by volume) before I changed the first P21 filter and all with "clean, uncontaminated" air.

Just because a compressor uses synthetic oil and a quality filter doesn't guarantee a good result. if the compressor has a lot of blow by thus pumping significant volumes of oil with the air, the filter (all be it a quality one) will quickly be consumed and trashed. If you are not checking the results you can easily pump contaminated air.

I my case I have double filtering. A P21 Bauer in series with a 0520 in line cartridge. I check the weight of the second in line cartridge regularly and this indicates if the P21 is exhausted as if the 0520 starts to increase in weight (thus showing that the P21 is exhausted and passing contaminants). Although I change the P21 before it gets to this stage anyway. It also ensures that water and oil is removed fully. It might be overkill but I like my air clean and I like staying alive by minimising risks where I can.

The main point being just because you use quality synthetic oil and a quality filter cartridge, doe NOT guarantee clean air, there are many other things to consider such as status of the compressor rings/cylinders, PMV operation, filter issues allowing air bypassing, poor manual draining by the operator flooding the filter element etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom